MCAT scheduling question

So here’s the deal. I have a year before I can take the MCAT, I’m transferring to a University of California next fall, but I still need to take my year of bio, physics and organic chem. I already have my year of gen chem done. The issue is that I’m aware that you need to apply very early to have the best chance, however, I won’t even be able to take the MCAT until the next school year is over so I have the pre-reqs done. Normally, this wouldn’t be an issue since I can study over the summer and take it…but that summer will be when I’m supposed to apply to med school.

So my big question is should I A) try to cram in MCAT prep in the last quarter before that summer, B) take a year off after I graduate so I can apply early the next year and take the MCAT at my leisure or C) study for a couple months in the summer then take the MCAT and submit primaries without knowing my scores?

• Tim Said:
So my big question is should I A) try to cram in MCAT prep in the last quarter before that summer, B) take a year off after I graduate so I can apply early the next year and take the MCAT at my leisure or C) study for a couple months in the summer then take the MCAT and submit primaries without knowing my scores?

B or C would probably be the best recommendations. You only want to take the MCAT once, especially since schools will see all scores if you need to retake. If you are going to be taking bio, organic and physics all together, you really want to think hard about trying to cram in the MCAT. There is something to be said for the argument that your entire year is basically one MCAT prep course, but there is a little more to MCAT prep than the courses - you want to make sure you have time to do some practice questions and a little reading on strategies for the test.

I took the MCAT the saturday after finishing summer organic chemistry and did fairly well, so it can be done. But, even though I did it, I don't think I would recommend that path to anyone. In retrospect, I was taking a pretty big chance by not really devoting any time to prep.

Hrm. I wonder how that’d work…I think I’d have to start paying back my student loans after 6 months though…doubt I could afford to do that as an EMT.

Well, what if I took a light quarter? Say the bare minimum of 12 units? The only other option I can see is spend a third year at UCSB to avoid having to start paying back the loans.

Tim,

You can also try to get a forebearance for a year. I did and it is very easy to apply for right online.

Kris

True. I wonder if I really should wait a year then…yeah a forbearance/deferrment would make that quite feasible.

I don’t know what I’d do during the next year though. I guess I’d just scuba dive a lot…that sounds horrible, but somehow I think I’ll live.

Tim,

Have you already finished your bachelors degree? Have you considered taking some advanced science classes such as biochemistry or genetics, etc.?

Kris

One note on getting a forbearance/deferment - there are some limits on how many months you can get a forbearance/deferment for. This is important because many medical students use their forbearance during residency because their salaries are so low compared to what they owe (especially if the neglected to take the graduated payment option). If you take forbearance/deferment now, you will have less time to use them in the future.

And yes, you do get an automatic six month deferment after you graduate before you have to start paying back loans. Something I discovered though, is that that is also a one-time deal. In other words, if you take that six month deferment after graduating, you will NOT get another six month deferment after finishing medical school. Instead you will be expected to start making payments again immediately. So, something else to keep under consideration.

If you can take a lighter load spring quarter so you have time to study for the MCAT, and put something off to the year while you are applying, that might be your best option. Most of the physics on the MCAT is covered in the first two quarters and depending on what the bio sequence is at your school, the same might be true of biology. I took the MCAT without the last quarter of physics and found that there weren’t too many concepts I had to review on my own.

Taking the year off to do something you enjoy isn’t all bad either, even if you have to start paying back your loans. Assuming you get into medical school, it may be a long time before you have the time to do some of those things.

Sit down and make a list of all your options and then list out the pros and cons for each of them for you. Maybe that will help you decide on the best course.

• Emergency! Said:
One note on getting a forbearance/deferment - there are some limits on how many months you can get a forbearance/deferment for. This is important because many medical students use their forbearance during residency because their salaries are so low compared to what they owe (especially if the neglected to take the graduated payment option). If you take forbearance/deferment now, you will have less time to use them in the future.

And yes, you do get an automatic six month deferment after you graduate before you have to start paying back loans. Something I discovered though, is that that is also a one-time deal. In other words, if you take that six month deferment after graduating, you will NOT get another six month deferment after finishing medical school. Instead you will be expected to start making payments again immediately. So, something else to keep under consideration.

If you can take a lighter load spring quarter so you have time to study for the MCAT, and put something off to the year while you are applying, that might be your best option. Most of the physics on the MCAT is covered in the first two quarters and depending on what the bio sequence is at your school, the same might be true of biology. I took the MCAT without the last quarter of physics and found that there weren't too many concepts I had to review on my own.

Taking the year off to do something you enjoy isn't all bad either, even if you have to start paying back your loans. Assuming you get into medical school, it may be a long time before you have the time to do some of those things.

Sit down and make a list of all your options and then list out the pros and cons for each of them for you. Maybe that will help you decide on the best course.

Hmm, I'm glad you pointed that out Emerg, that changes the picture a little. Well, the only option I can see then is (assuming they'll let me take only 12 units, the guide when I toured UCSB mentioned they may be requiring you to take 15 units/semester from now on) taking orgo 3, physics 3 and intro to genetics for a total of 12 units and just leave it at that while studying for the MCAT. The spring quarter doesn't end until the middle of June at UCSB so that's pretty much what I'll have to do.

Kris, no, I still have one semester left of community college then I'm transferring to UCSB and doing two years there..I'm 60% done with my bachelor. I do plan to take a lot of advanced classes though since my major is marine biology. Genetics, physiology, and one full year of biochemistry is on the agenda.