MCAT timing issue

Hi… I need some help regarding timing-issue…

During the MCAT exam, whenever I notice that I’m running out of time or trying to read faster, I can’t think of damn thing. I become extremely anxious, less focus and as a result I miss so many questions that I couldn’ve gotten right if I had a little more time.

The question on the test sheet becomes totally blank…

Maybe I was having some sort of anxiety attack or something… I don’t know…

I was thinking about requesting for the accomodation for the MCAT due to ADHD since I’m sure my MCAT score will never be the predicative of my potential.

So I looked into my neuropsychological evaluation which was done almost 2 yrs ago and realized it was just a brief summary of my diagnosis which isn’t a full evaluation. At that time the psychologist told me he couldn’t evaluate my IQ test or other diagnostic test since not only English was my second language but also I was born and raised in Korea for most of life. So I guess I’m pretty much sure I’ll be taking this beast without accommodation since I can’t be fully evaluated unless get the test written in Korean…

So my question is does anyone had serious timing issue during the exam preparation? if so, how did you deal with it in order to finish all the MCAT section on time???

Thanks…

Sorry you are having so much trouble. The only way to get the timing in is practicing a whole lot. Doing as many practice tests as you can. Do them section by section and time each question. When the time is up on a question, guess and move on. Don’t get stalled on a question and jepordize the rest of the questions. Luckily there is no penalty for guessing so if you have spent the allotted time on a question, give up on it and move on.
Practice, practice, and more practice is the only thing I can suggest. You do have to have a working knowledge of the subjects being tested, so if you are struggling because you aren’t understanding the material, then I would suggest going over the material in details over and over so that the material won’t be an issue.
I hated the MCAT so I know how you feel. Good luck!!!

Thanks a lot Amy B. I might have to do 15 or more practice exams… Before I even answer the question on MCAT, sometimes I’m having problem understanding the question if I skim through or try to read really fast. It just sucks that I have such a disadvantage and need to put twice amount of effort for the MCAT preparation and still may likely to get a real MCAT score which is not a predicative of my full potential.

The MCAT is just the first of a whole lot of tests you’ll have to take - in English. If you can develop the skills to get through this one, you’ll be very well-prepared for your med school tests and the board exams.

The timing issue WILL become easier with lots of practice. Do not rush to take the MCAT before you are ready. Better to spend more time preparing - if this means 15 practice tests, then you should take the time to do at least that many practice tests. I know someone for whom English is a FIRST language, who did twenty practice tests. That person did very well and is sure that the lengthy preparation and taking the time to do so much practice made a big difference.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot. I’m actually taking Kaplan prep-class at an Arlington Center in VA and things are going pretty good so far. Teachers are wonderful. However sometimes I tend to miss what the teacher just said or other information given because I am soooooooo slowwwwww in terms of listening and reading. Being in class and participating with other students keep reminding me of my own personal problems (ADHD & English barrier)which most students don’t have and it’s absolutely frustruating. The basic issue is the reading comprehension… Although I know science well, I have trouble understanding passages unless I read them slowly over and over again. Yes I actually have some time because I am not working or taking classes at all.
I’m going to see how I do on my first or second full-length practice exam and make a critical decision whether I should request a refund. I hope that doesn’t happen because not taking this April exam is like a death sentence to me…
I’m becoming like a hermit…