MCAT

Hello.

I have two options that I am considering.

Option one is a prep course for two months and then finishing up my second ochem class, before I take the MCAT in august.

Option two would be to finish up all the required coursework before I apply. My current science gpa is 3.0 and I want to show an upward trend so taking all the required coursework and then some might help.

I understand that applying in summer is a disadvantage, but I feel ready to get the ball rolling and apply. I got a fine arts degree first and then took two years of premed coursework and then a year off, so I am feeling the urge to apply instead of just taking more courses again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello.

I have two options that I am considering.

Option one is a prep course for two months and then finishing up my second ochem class, before I take the MCAT in august.

Option two would be to finish up all the required coursework before I apply. My current science gpa is 3.0 and I want to show an upward trend so taking all the required coursework and then some might help.

I understand that applying in summer is a disadvantage, but I feel ready to get the ball rolling and apply. I got a fine arts degree first and then took two years of premed coursework and then a year off, so I am feeling the urge to apply instead of just taking more courses again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I would suggest you take things slowly but surely. You want to make sure that you have all of your ducks in a row before you take on applications. There is going to be a lot of work involved in doing applications between the primary and then the secondaries.

do not be in such a rush. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

One of the major pitfalls in the premed process is suffering from “premature application.” The goal is not to get an application completed but to be successfully accepted to medical school. Improving GPA and showing ability to do advanced work with courses above and beyond the pre-reqs is vital but often difficult for non-trads, particularly if you have a previous weak or spotty record from earlier college work. The other vital factor is MCATs. For many non-trads, this is the best route to show academic ability. You may better served by spending the next several months prepping and prepping and prepping for an MCAT in early 2009 while also getting transcripts in order, working on essays, etc. It is nearly impossible to over estimate the details needed in simply the mechanics of applying. And remember that each task does not simply need to be completed but actually confirmed and verified (ie, making sure a letter was sent and then making sure it was received., etc).

Take a breath, get your project plan in order and tackle it so you’ll get every possible chance to be accepted.

keep us informed

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/fbbuploads/1 209…

Take a look at a some info recent survey of med school admissions officers on what they view as important. MCAT may weigh as much as GPA

I think you need to carefully weigh the pros and cons of both options. Applying late (as you would be with an August MCAT) definitely puts you at a disadvantage. However, that’s not to say that people don’t have success when applying late.

How much required coursework beyond the second ochem do you have? If all you have is one ochem, that having that one class to complete yet when applying may not make that much of a difference. However, if you have more classes than that yet to take, I think I would encourage you to finish them and apply next year. The combination of a fairly low science GPA, more than one missing pre-req and a late application doesn’t seem like the best package to me.

You also have to consider that if you go ahead and apply this year without success, you will be considered a re-applicant next year. Some consider this to be an additional question mark on an application.

The application process is a lot more time consuming (and expensive) than you might think, especially when a lot of schools don’t pre-screen before sending out secondaries.

Good luck.

Merging duplicate posts.