MD or PA - 33yo fem. no kids

I became interested in Physician Assistant about 2 years ago. I had a recent opportunity to shadow a MD anesthesiologist in an entire day of surgeries at the hospital where I volunteer. That and speaking with other PA’s left me feeling that I might want to try for MD.

I have an MS in Geology, and have worked in engineering consulting for 9 years, and I’m a 33 yo woman.

My undergrad record is spotty with a D in calculus which I retook later and got a B. Undergrad GPA at first institution was like a 2.75 and then at latter undergrad institution a 3.59. In grad school they don’t give GPA’s, but if you had to calculate, mine would have been the equivalent of a 3.7. Took Physics 101/102 in grad school and earned B’s.

Now in Bio 101/102 - cumulative GPA is a 4.0. My plan for next semester is to attend school full time in the fall and take Chem 101/102, microbio, and A&P (required for PA).

My questions:

1. Do I even stand a chance applying for med school?

1a. If I wanted to pursue a pre-med track, what else would I need?

2. Can you even dare to be pregnant at any point in the med school/residency process?

3. If you are a woman who is/was in similar situation with kids or wanting kids, what would you/did you do?

Yes, absolutely.

Good mcat scores. Some experience in the medical or health care field.

2. Can you even dare to be pregnant at any point in the med school/residency process?

Yes, but realize it impacts your career goals. Even if you have a lot of support with regard to finances and child care, something still has to give – you may not get the most competitive residency. Still, I know a woman who became a single mom in med school and went on to ER residency. I know others who have done it in residency. There really is no good time professionally speaking, so you just have to pick the time when it is best for you personally.

3. If you are a woman who is/was in similar situation with kids or wanting kids, what would you/did you do?

I would do what you are doing now. Putting my best foot forward in terms of preparation for med school. I would not let my desires to become a physician and mother to become mutually exclusive. I would have a child when it seems appropriate for me personally, and then make do with the rest. Good luck!
  • tsiridium Said:

Yes, you stand a chance. Coursewise, make sure that the biology and chemistry you took/are taking are considered "pre-med" pre-reqs. Sometimes the science courses that are required for nursing and PA are not as rigorous as those required for med school. You will also need a year of organic chemistry w/labs and a year of physics with labs. Biochemistry is becoming a pre-req at more and more schools, so you may want to consider that.

Other than coursework, you should have some extracurricular activites and volunteering, if possible.

• Quote:

Yes. As goodcat said, it's not mutually exclusive. A good family support system is a must. I am finishing my second year of med school and my daughter will be 4 months old this week. I am doing a MPH next year, and then we plan to try for a second child late third year. (Fourth year has a lot of vacation time and easier rotations). I recently talked to an EM resident who is pregnant with her 3rd child. She had one during 2nd year, took the next year off, one during 4th year, and is in her second year of residency. I believe the chief resident on EM has at least one, maybe two children.

It makes life more challenging, but it's not impossible. As nearly 50% of the medical students are now female, residencies are becoming used to dealing with maternity leaves.

• Quote:

See above. We decided to not wait until residency because I am already 36. My medical school has been wonderful to work with. I don't recommend going into medical school interviews asking about having kids, but if you have the opportunity to talk to current students, you might get to find out the general attitude of the school.

Good luck.

anyone else share similar experiences?

I’m not equipped to have the same experience - but have you visited momMD.com ? I can’t say for sure, but I suspect they may.

And I’d second what’s been said about the first half of your questions: Yes, you can do it. No, it won’t be easy. But if it were easy - everyone’d be doing it .

W/re the general BCPM pre-reqs, I can’t say for certain. How old are your Calc grades? The physics you took during grad school - was it an undergrad course? You’re still planning on A&P (which is not a bad idea for pre-med, either) as a PA requirement; are you still considering the PA option?

If you can work it out, full-time school seems to be the best way to prove your mettle, so it sounds good you’ll be going for that. Provided calc is accepted, it sounds like you’d have the requirements done after what you describe, plus a year of organic chem. There are other things that seem very good to take - genetics, biochem, etc - and are in some cases required (esp biochem), which you may be able to do during your glide year.

Welcome, and please keep us updated!

Thanks for your replies.

I am just afraid of becoming a woman so driven by goals that I miss out on being a mom. (Like Addison on Grey’s Anatomy who discovers she is no longer fertile)

I think pps are right. Something has got to give and you can’t have it all. I just know that for me my career is just as important as having a family.

I am very heartened by knowing there are others out there who have managed to do it.

Women are successfully doing this all the time. It is harder, but also very rewarding.

Do you have a sig other? If not, who knows? You may just meet you S.O. in med school (so many people meet their future spouse in school). Then you can truly say a medical career was absolutely essential for you to have become a Mom.