Med School in 2011 - application questions

I have a couple of questions… Might be simple or basic but at this point, I have no other guidance, so I thought I would post on this forum.

1. Do the dates for starting the application and submitting the application differ from each other? (May 4th 2010 and June 1 2010 respectively)

2. If I take my mcat sometime in May and start my application and submit it on or around June 1 (if that is the actual date to submit), would I be able to send the score after that point? Or should I wait for the score release to apply?

3)What if I get my first score from May 2010 and it is not the desired score, is there anyway to tell the school after I have submitted my application that I will be retaking the test by a certain date and to expect a new score?

This is a question I would like to know as well since it will determine when I take the MCAT.

When is the best time to send the applications in. Do we wait for the MCAT or send the app in without taking the MCAT yet.

I plan on taking the MCAT in April 2011, can I apply in Jan or Feb to medical schools?

Thanks

Thomas

Primary applications are only accepted between June 1 and (usually) around October 1 to 15th. So you can’t really apply in January or February.

• In reply to:
1) Do the dates for starting the application and submitting the application differ from each other? (May 4th 2010 and June 1 2010 respectively)

Yes, the application opens up to be prepared by the applicant on May 4th. It can be submitted on June 1st. It has been suggested by many NOT to submit immediately on the first day permitted but certainly to do so soon thereafter

• In reply to:
2) If I take my mcat sometime in May and start my application and submit it on or around June 1 (if that is the actual date to submit), would I be able to send the score after that point? Or should I wait for the score release to apply?

From a process standpoint, you can submit the application without the MCAT score available (or even have had taken the MCAT). However, schools will not considered or process the application until all required materials or scores are ready. Therefore, the schools will not consider or review you for acceptance until the application is complete.

• In reply to:
3)What if I get my first score from May 2010 and it is not the desired score, is there anyway to tell the school after I have submitted my application that I will be retaking the test by a certain date and to expect a new score?

Again, from a process standpoint I believe there is a mechanism to do so. However, you may have been reviewed and rejected by that point based on your first submitted score. The question here is what is more important, early application or good MCAT score? Is your goal to get into medical school or get into medical school quickly? A late application will put you behind the curve but a bad MCAT may be throwing yourself under the bus. If get rejected and need to reapply next cycle, you will have a "negative" on your reapplication to be dealt with. If you are unsure of your ability to do well on the MCAT, I would suggest waiting until you have the score in hand before you hit the submit button. About one-quarter of all applicants to allopathic schools in 2009-2010 were "non-first time" applicants. However, I do not have any separate acceptance data for them and can only speculate that it is likely lower than "first time" applicants.

• In reply to:

Once you register to retake the MCAT, AMCAS notifies all the schools to which you have applied that a new score is going to be forthcoming. The schools do not make final decisions until the new MCAT score arrives. Other than registering to take the MCAT, there is nothing more that you do. AMCAS does it.

Cheers,

Judy

So if I get my applicaiton in by June, and God willing I do get an interview and accepted, it still would be another year before I to start medical school? I am just trying to get the timeline down.

Thanks

T

• thomasfx10 Said:
So if I get my applicaiton in by June, and God willing I do get an interview and accepted, it still would be another year before I to start medical school? I am just trying to get the timeline down.

I believe the below is an decent, concise summary (no doubt Judy will correct me as she well should)

The ideal timeline assumes all materials, transcripts, letters of recommendation and MCAT scores have been received or are received soon soon after the AMCAS online application is submitted. Also note that admissions are done on a rolling basis.

June 2010: you submit your AMCAS primary application

Summer 2010: secondary applications sent

Fall 2010: interviews are held

Winter/Spring 2011: acceptances finalized

Fall 2011: start class

remember that an application will not be reviewed until all items, including MCAT scores. I assume that if you register for a second MCAT, that your application will be held until the updated score is received.

Bear in that this an ideal timeline. Medical schools will review application and waitlist applicants until the classes are full literally up until the day classes start.
  • In reply to:
June 2010: you submit your AMCAS primary application

Summer 2010: secondary applications sent

Fall 2010: interviews are held

Winter/Spring 2011: acceptances finalized

Fall 2011: start class

Close. Secondaries are sent Summer/Fall. Most schools have a secondary deadline around Nov 1st, but some are later (I've seen December 1st). Obviously, you don't want to wait that long to submit secondaries - you should submit them as soon as you receive them.

Most MD schools do interviews Sept/Oct through Feb/Marchish. Since they do rolling admissions, you're usually better off interviewing early in the year, as a school may have filled all of their spots by December and waitlist people from there on out.

Schools have different timelines on acceptances. OSU typically notifies people within 2 weeks if they have been accepted, rejected or "deferred" (which is basically waitlisted), but some schools can take up to 2 months to notify applicants, especially if you interviewed right before the holidays.

Schools can accept people after deferring or waitlisting them at any time. I was initially waitlisted at one school in January, then offered an acceptance in February. I interviewed at OSU in February, was deferred, and then accepted in May. Schools can accept people off of waitlists up until the day classes start - I've even heard of people being offered spots on the first day of classes because somebody didn't show up the first day.

• In reply to:
I assume that if you register for a second MCAT, that your application will be held until the updated score is received.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what the first score is.

As a matter of general practice, the interviewing season begins in ernest at the beginning of October (after early decision interviewing is over) and can go clear through April, and in rare instances, into May.

Acceptances can be forthcoming after mid-October and continue until a school’s class is finalized, usually by mid-July (but sometimes even into early September).

Cheers,

Judy

I have talked to two DO programs. I am going to sit my MCAT’s in Aug 2010. I am planning on submitting my application in JUN to AACOMAS so that it can be verified. The two programs I spoke with said they will send out secondaries before my scores post. This way everything is complete and if interested they can schedule interviews shortly after the scores post.

I know Aug is slightly late in taking my MCATs but I will not be able to be ready anytime sooner.

tbcnm

Good luck, tbcnm! I think I took my MCAT in August. All I remember is that my MCAT date was Friday the 13th ;).

Well the Friday the 13th seemed to have worked well for you! I’ve had good luck on Friday the 13th’s…that is the date I met my future husband…so maybe I’ll shoot for that for the MCAT!!

Hi there! I just got on this site as I was trying to figure out if my timeline is do-able for 2011 application. I am also planning to take the MCAT in August, but starting my applications in early-mid June. I am interested primarily in DO schools as well.

I am just now putting together my personal statement and resume, feeling shoddy about my lack of research and recent volunteer work, and haven’t signed on to AMCAS yet. Do I buckle down and get all of this done in the next month (application, personal statment, etc) or try and wait a year and get more volunteer/ research experience.

A bit about me: I am 33 years old, a non traditional student who will be entering my senior year of Undergrad in the fall. My grades are good (except for a C plus in the first half of Orgo), I am in the honors program, teach dance, am a practicing massage therapist, work with a DO, and have travelled a good bit, lived in interesting places, and done volunteer work in the past (like 12 years ago)

I would love advice/opinions from anyone who has gone through this process or is going through it currently. I don’t really want to wait another year, but I also want to be a good candidate.

Thank you!

The old addage of the early bird gets the worm is so perfect for the application process. This is because there are more seats available in the beginning of the application season. However, you need to understand that there is more to the application than just sending it in.

You need to send in all of the transcripts from any and all schools that you have taken classes at. This can take time. So those requests should be put in now. Once you submit your application AAMCAS and AACOMAS do no send out your applications to the schools until the receive your transcripts AND verify them against the information that you entered. At the height of application season, which is in the summer and early fall, this can take up to 6 weeks.

So here is a timeline:

1. Send out transcript requests to ALL schools you took classes in

2. Fill out the AAMCAS/AACOMAS application

3. While you are waiting for verification there is no reason why you cannot see if the secondary is available online (most schools do not screen since each secondary application will run $50-$200 and they are cash cows) and start filling them out and getting them ready to be mailed

4. If you have not done so, take your MCAT

5. Sit and wait for the secondary requests to come in and mail them out

6. Wait for news

Thank you. I just had copies of my transcripts sent to my premedical advisor. Do I need to also send a copy directly to AMCAS? Or do I just need copies for myself so I can enter the information in?

I am taking the MCAT in August. It is kind of late, but it is either that or wait a year since this summer is the first chance I have to take a prep class.

Thanks for the help. I feel a bit bumbling and unprepared in this process.

AAMCAS and AACOMAS need official transcripts sent to them. You should get unofficial ones sent to you because you need to enter every class you took along with the grades.