Med School with 4 kids.

Has anyone ever gone through med school with a family? How did you do it financially and do you have any advice for me or my wife? I am 37 yrs old and my wife is 33, we are prepared to do this just wondering if anyone else has good ideas or how other med students with families have made it through. Mostly concerned about how to provide for the family, my wife doesn’t have a great paying job. She is considering going to nursing school to help increase the income. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Welcome to Old Pre Meds. You are among Kindred spirits.

I am currently a 3rd year medical student and have 3 kids with 1 on the way. I am 35 years old. I have already written about this

Read this and then if you have more questions, let me know.

Hi there rocking out Gabe-man,

Residency intimidates me with my two children, but the third year does too. Have you written about your third year anywhere with kids anywhere?

How have your children been since you started school? Is your wife working?

I’m feeling so intimidated by the process now in the moment, but thanks for posting so much as you are inspiring.

Anne

Awhile ago I wrote some summaries of my 3rd year. My daughter, now three, was 19 months old when I started 3rd year. I will be starting residency with a 3 1/2 year old and a 6 week old.

Med school/residency with children is tough, no doubt. I cried my first week of 3rd year rotations (surgery) because that was the longest I had ever gone without seeing my daughter. Because of my hours, I was gone before she got up and didn’t get home until after she was in bed. There were many, many nights that rotation that I didn’t get to see her. Surgery was by far the worst of the rotations, although OB had call about once a week. Some schools/rotations have students do q4 call. Even on easier rotations, I would often get home in time for dinner and/or bedtime.

Having children requires a lot of compromises and sacrifices. One balance that I find needs to be struck is that between parent and student. My exam grades probably could have been better at many points throughout my medical school career, but I chose to sacrifice some study time in order to spend time with my family. It’s a constant balancing act. As a med student, you could easily devote all your non-classroom/clinical time to studying, but you have to make family a priority. Many people I know who have done this with children/family make it a priority to set aside a minimum of one evening or day per week that they devote to spending with their family.

It’s difficult, but people do it every year. You’d be surprised at the number of residents (male and female alike) who start their families during residency. Supportive spouses and families are crucial. Your spouse needs to realize that there will be times where he/she feels like a single parent. There will be many sacrifices by everyone.