Medical Corps age limits

Is there anyone out there with what they believe to be accurate information regarding the age limits for the Army Reserve and National Guard age limits for acceptance into the Medical Corps. I have at least three different answers from different sources.

1. 42 years of age,no waiver. 2) 45 years of age, no waiver. 3) No age limit and upon acceptance into a grad level program you can direct commission and the military will pick up your tuition and fees. The last was from a Lt. who recruits for the Oregon Guard Medical Corps. I recently ran accross an application for the Army Reserve Direct Commission that suggested the age was 42 but was waiverable.

Any info would be great.
  • Blaine45 Said:
Is there anyone out there with what they believe to be accurate information regarding the age limits for the Army Reserve and National Guard age limits for acceptance into the Medical Corps. I have at least three different answers from different sources.

I'm an MS-I in the Navy HPSP and I have 10 years of prior active duty military service so maybe I can shed some light on this for you.

• Blaine45 Said:
1) 42 years of age,no waiver.

This is my understanding from the active duty Army, Air Force, and Navy recruiters that put my applications together and even then it only applies to physicians and dentists. PA, NP, PharmD & other allied health professions have much lower cut-off ages than physicians & dentists. Age waivers may be available for prior service applicants that are entering the medical/dental corps. For an active duty commissioning program, you would have to attain your MD, DO, DDS, or DMD by age 48 and would need to complete your service obligation (GME+active+reserve) by age 62.

So, for example, let's say you graduate medical school at age 48 and go straight through an active duty primary care residency (the shortest) without being deferred into a civilian residency (which doesn't count towards your payback) and without doing a GMO tour (which doesn't count towards your residency/board certification) - a lot of assumptions. Your active duty commitment would start at age 51, completing at age 55. Then, your reserve commitment would begin at age 55 and complete at age 59 - doable and with 3 years to spare. But it gets complicated if you match into a specialty with a long residency or do a civilian residency or do a GMO tour for a few years before even starting residency because you don't match on the 1st try; you may or may not have time to spare. You would also not be eligible for a pension, regardless of your age, unless you could complete 20 years of service.

I am not sure if the Army Guard/Reserves have different criteria.

Thanks for the reply. It’s a confusing process. And I get a different answer each time I ask. It seems that the most important thing is to have your service commitment completed by the age of 60 (Army) and 62 (Navy)? I have heard it is 2 years for each year of school they pay for.

I recall when I signed my HPSP paperwork in 2002 that there was a form with lots of waiver items on it. One of the items (that I didn’t have to sign) was to acknowledge that you did not have enough time from your age (and obligations) to reach 20 years for retirement by age 62.

Here’s a link with information on Navy medical programs.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt3/medicalof fice…

For Medical Corps you have to be able to complete 20 years of active service by the age of 68. This is good since I’ll be applying for HPSP and USUHS.

I’m on active duty as a Medical Service Corps officer and was “old” at 42 when I was commissioned in 2009. I’ll be entering med school at 45 with 7 years of active service if I get an acceptance for 2012. You’re never too old and it is never too late!