Medical School Enrollments Increasing by 30%

Good news for OPMers! Med school classes are expanding and new schools are opening up. The end result is that by 2017-2018 (for those of you looking to enroll in the future) there will be 30% more spaces in med school. I wrote a blog post on my website about this, with links to data/reports, etc. Go there if you’re interested in seeing where the new schools are opening up. If you click on one of the links you’ll see a map of the US showing where the new schools are. I’m not trying to drive you to my website; it’s just much easier to have you go there than to redo all the links here.

Best,

Liza

Thanks for sharing. I had no idea that many new medical schools are opening up. I’m wondering if it’s related to the Healthcare Reform Act and concerns about shortage of PCPs

The initiative to expand med schools started in 2006, based on projections for the increased need for physicians. If you’re interested, you can read the AAMC’s report on physician supply and demand.

What many people are worried about, however, is that the number of residency positions hasn’t matched pace with the increased number of graduating med students. That’s a problem that will need to be solved but there are no immediate solutions.

Best,

Liza

Thank you Liza for this info!

• Msalexis29 Said:
Thanks for sharing. I had no idea that many new medical schools are opening up. I'm wondering if it's related to the Healthcare Reform Act and concerns about shortage of PCPs

My personal opinion is that this is more about the business of education.
  • pathdr2b Said:

My personal opinion is that this is more about the business of education.

I couldn't agree more. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of money that there is to be made when there is a shortage of some profession and students are going back to school in droves...

If you’re interested, there’s more information here regarding the lack of residency positions to match the increased number of med school graduates.

Best,

Liza