Medical School Prerequisites

Hello everyone:

I am a film and TV composer, that majored in music in college. I have always had a passion for medicine, as I come from a long line of physicians. At 33, I’m seriously considering pursuing medicine, and I want to know if I can take the basic medical school prerequisites at a community college. What I mean is: would those courses be acceptable? I’m not sure how I could take the courses at a university, without enrolling in another degree program, which I don’t feel I have the time for at my age. Most of the schools seem to agree on the following minimum courses:

1 year of Chemistry

1 year of Organic Chemistry

1 year ( semesters) or 3 semesters of Biology

1 Year of Physics

As a music major, I really only studied liberal arts in college, and dabbled in the sciences through geology and ecology courses. I did well in science courses in high school, and I am wondering what the shortest path to meeting the medical school requirements would be for someone in my position. The doctors in my family are all deceased, so I could really use some good advice here. Is there anyone else out there with a similar situation?

Hi! Welcome

I am 33 as well - finishing undergrad and also completing the pre reqs. The general advice is not to take the pre-reqs at community college, that most schools appreciate the work done at a 4-yr, because it’s seen as being more rigorous. That said, there’s been plenty of people who have taken their pre-reqs at CC and have got in to med school just fine. The best thing to do is call the schools that you’re interested in applying to, and find out how they feel about CC coursework. Hope this helps a bit. There’s actually a ton of info/replies on this subject in these forums, you should try and search through the achieves.

As noted by Brenda there are many posts concerrning the community college vs four year university issue. You can learn much by reading these posts. As people have different life circumstance, we tend to go the path that better suit our situation. Your next point, you mention that you did not have time to complete another degree. This should not deter you from taking classes at a 4 year university. It is ok to apply to the university as a dgree seeking student to take the premed required classes. You donot have to complete that second degree and the university does not care if you donot complete that second degree.

“I am wondering what the shortest path to meeting the medical school requirements would be for someone in my position …”

Unfortunately, there is no short path. You will need to take the eight required classes at the minimum. Even the Big Four medical schools in the Caribbean require these classes plus MCAT. I heard there are some medical schools overseas that might take you but it will be hard to get a residency in the US from those schools.

Do not feel imitated by the eight. I was in the same place as you are just about a year ago. My degree is Christian Leadership and I had zero sciences (including in high school).

But now … I have completed Gen Chem 1 & 2 and Bio 1 & 2 and I am now taking OChem 1 and Physics 1 with a 3.5 GPA.

Some advice … Use Ratemyprofessors.com to find the fairest professors (This has been a lifesaver for me). Take no more than two science classes and do not be afraid to ask for help … the free tutors at college helped a lot …

You will do fine ….

P.S. … I am also 46 years old … It is never too late. Just take your time and stay focused.

Cheers!

I noticed that you are currently taking orgo and Phy how is that going for you? I just started with BIOI and GEN CHEM 1, it looks like I’ll be taking your route. I heard from many people that I should take those two together what do you think?

Hey, Chris. I was able to do all my pre-reqs in one year at a 4 year university in Chicago (started in May and finished the following May) without picking up an additional major. I did this and worked about 20 hours a week. I really enjoyed being back in school and enjoyed sciences a lot in HS (like you, I was also a music major at a liberal arts college in undergrad). I then took my MCAT that summer and was interviewing for med schools within 17 months of starting and started med school 27 months after starting. Although you can get all your pre-reqs done in a year at some four year institutions, you will still have that glide year (application year) after the pre-reqs are finished. I used this year to fill in some upper division bio classes (genetics, biochem, molecular bio, etc) and pick up a physics minor. Once med school started I was happy that I had add’l background in these upper division courses–only one I wish I had taken that I didn’t was anatomy.

Long post just to say you can do your pre-reqs in a year, have an application year, and then be starting at a strong, top 20 med school within a 27-month time frame if you are focused and financially able to make it work. (And happy to say, 6 years after starting the voyage, in residency now!) Drop me a private message if you’ve got other questions.

MD2B2010, I really want to start my post bacc this fall or start doing my pre-reqs and my desire is to have it finished in one year. I have never had any science classes before…maybe a few here and there in high school. I am 36 years old and my desire is be able to apply to med school by 2012.

Reading your story was very inspirational and I would like to know how I can do what you’ve done. Therefore, how do I contact you? By email or phone, either is fine with me. I would really appreciate it if you could mentor me.

Hi MD2B2010,

I live in northern california, 37 years old with a masters in Chemistry and working in the pharma industry. I plan to redo all my coursework. Just looking for some input on how many units you completed before you took the MCAT or started the AMCAS application. Also any light on volunteering or shadowing that you did would be helpful.

Incidentally, anyone from NorCal in the same boat?

I also finished the prereqs in 12 months (ironically in Chicago too - Loyola).

I am in the glide year, hopefully entering Sept 2011. I am 48… don’t worry that you are too late! Take the time to do it right and enjoy the journey.

My advice would be to choose your timing and school so that you maximize your GPA and MCAT score. Study for MCAT as you are going thru classes; it helps you understand the class material from another perspective and get you prepared for the beast that is the MCAT. Take the extra time if you have to. Really, it is ok.

I am filling my glide year with family, community and preparation. Married, 3 kids, so this is great for me to have quality time. And am re-activated volunteering in the 'hood. I am also pre-studying M1 materials (also did this for the prereqs and it worked very well indeed).

gl!!!

• Vrnathan Said:
Hi MD2B2010,

I live in northern california, 37 years old with a masters in Chemistry and working in the pharma industry. I plan to redo all my coursework. Just looking for some input on how many units you completed before you took the MCAT or started the AMCAS application. Also any light on volunteering or shadowing that you did would be helpful.

Incidentally, anyone from NorCal in the same boat?

Here was my schedule (to the best of my memory):

Summer Session 1: Gen Chem I and II with labs, Calculus (I took in case some of the schools I may be interested in required)

Fall: Bio I with lab, O-Chem I with lab, Physics I with lab

Winter/Spring: the remainder of those sequences

Summer: MCAT

The following year (glide year) I took classes/labs like biochem, molecular bio, genetics, more physics classes, etc.

In my opinion anyone taking the MCAT should have taken the courses that cover the content taken in the exam prior to taking it. There are, of course, exceptions, but you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot and gamble with an exam that means A LOT when applying. IMHO, definitely have a full year of chem, bio, o-chem, and physics under your belt before taking the exam.

This is very encouraging. I am hoping to do the same and need some advice. What study techniques did you use etc. I am completing a PhD at the moment and have never taken any science courses but I have taken very rigorous math, stats and econ graduate courses. I actually teach an advanced stats course as a grad student and hope to take the prereqs at the same institution. Do you think it is possible to finish the prereqs in one semester and the summer semester?

• Gasee Said:
This is very encouraging. I am hoping to do the same and need some advice. What study techniques did you use etc. I am completing a PhD at the moment and have never taken any science courses but I have taken very rigorous math, stats and econ graduate courses. I actually teach an advanced stats course as a grad student and hope to take the prereqs at the same institution. Do you think it is possible to finish the prereqs in one semester and the summer semester?

No that wouldn't be possible as General (or Inorganic in some schools) Chemistry is a prerequisite to Organic Chemistry. Thus they can not be taken concurrently. At the very minimum (if the school has at least two summer "sessions" per year, ie. Session I & II) you'll be looking at three rigorous terms.

Term One: Gen Chem 1, Biol 1, Phys 1. Term 2: Gen Chem 2, Biol 2, Phys 2. Summer Term 1: Org Chem 1, Calc 1. Summer Term 2: Org Chem 2, Calc 2.

Also keep in mind that these are minimums at most schools and that some schools do ask for a semester of Biochemistry, if not a whole year.

Don’t forget English Comp 1 & 2, but I assume you had those.

Some even have other out there requirements, like a speech, debate, or other communication type of requirement… I mean, I can see the logic behind it, but still. Pays to check with the school if you have one in mind.

To those considering applying to MD programs, there is a book available through AAMC called “MSAR” (Medical School Admissions Requirements) which outlines information about each school, the prereqs, other suggested courses, MCAT data for accepted students, and loads of other stuff. Here’s a link to the book if you’re interested in learning more:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/msa r.htm

I used it extensively when I was getting set to apply to schools, but it can be useful as you’re planning which courses to take as well.

Thanks folks! Very helpful. How can I get this book? Is it available at local libraries?

It might be available at a local library … you’d have to check.

But it’s not expensive to buy, and COMPLETELY worth every penny, in my opinion.

It’s $25, plus $8 S&H if memory serves.

I totally recommend having your own copy to pore over, mark up, flag, highlight, etc. You’ll need it.

Best of luck!