Medical Schools with Non-Traditional Students

I received the recent MSAR and I noticed that it does not have information about the average age of admitted students or anything on age at all.

Do any of you know where I can find a list of schools stating the average age of the newly accepted class?

Also, do any of you know of schools that have a higher proportion of non traditional students?

I understand that medical schools typically accept students right out of undergrad or 1 to 2 years out. I am currently 25 and plan on entering medical school in 2 years (if all goes as planned) and i’d like to be at a school with some students my age.

Any information or feedback will be helpful.

Thanks!

At 27, most schools will have students your age or at least close enough to your age that you aren’t going to feel out of place. The average age of matriculating medical students has slowly been creeping up and is now somewhere close to 25. There are a fair amount of students that take a year or two off before starting medical school.

Some schools put out a “Class Profile”. You can see OSU’s for this year at http://medicine.osu.edu/students/admissions/P ages/ClassProfile.aspx and then clicking on the “Class Profile” link.

There is some data posted by both the Osteopathic and Allopathic schools. Complete data is likely available by simple request. I have gotten these in the past but they are huge

Link to Osteopathic D.O. applicant data

Link to allopathic M.D. data

Link to selected data sheets for both in forum post

It should be noted that AAMC is also the parent organization for ERAS (residency) and that data sheet for that DOES include both DO and MD information.

Link to residency data

• Emergency! Said:
...Some schools put out a "Class Profile". You can see OSU's for this year at http://medicine.osu.edu/students/admissions/P ages/ClassProfile.aspx and then clicking on the "Class Profile" link.

Age Range:

20 - 5, 21 – 23, 22 – 96, 23 – 40, 24 – 22,

25 – 17, 26 – 9, 27 – 2, 28 – 2, 29 – 2, 34 – 1, 37 – 1

Good grief - 20 years old. And not one, FIVE! Are they coming straight from high school now? They can't even order a drink! I mean seriously, I thought Doogie Howser went off the air in the early 90s!
  • Dazed Said:
  • Emergency! Said:
...Some schools put out a "Class Profile". You can see OSU's for this year at http://medicine.osu.edu/students/admissions/P ages/ClassProfile.aspx and then clicking on the "Class Profile" link.

Age Range:

20 - 5, 21 – 23, 22 – 96, 23 – 40, 24 – 22,

25 – 17, 26 – 9, 27 – 2, 28 – 2, 29 – 2, 34 – 1, 37 – 1

Good grief - 20 years old. And not one, FIVE! Are they coming straight from high school now? They can't even order a drink! I mean seriously, I thought Doogie Howser went off the air in the early 90s!

haha... there's a joint BS/MD program that some schools have, where you apply when you're applying to college (so ~18 y/o), and as long as you meet certain criteria, you move forward. And start med school at 20.

That would never have worked for me, and I have a hard time imagining how just about any 17/18 year old could commit to such a decision. But it seems to work well for some people. I happen to know some of those 5 you mention, and they're good kids

Some years, there are BS/MDs starting that are younger than 20. A decent amount of them graduate from high school at 16 and are starting med school at 18. A few years ago, there was a student admitted (highly recruited) to the MD/PhD program who was 16.

Ok Thanks.

It looks like I am going to be a little older than the median student, but not by much.

There’s a girl in my class that turned 21 back in March - she was born March 1989. That just makes me feel old!