Mediocre MCAT score...now what?

After studying for 6 months, I took the MCAT and scored a 24 (P: 7, B: 8, V: 9, WS: R). I was so discouraged with my score that I haven’t yet bothered to apply to any schools this year. I’m now starting to re-assess my situation, and I’m tyring to come up with a game plan.
I’m 32, graduated from an Ivy League university, already have my MBA from a top business school, and have a successful career in the medical device industry. However, I still have a strong desire to become a doctor, and I know there is only one way to do that. Any advice on how to get back on track and become a successful candidate?
Best,
JMG

Quote:

After studying for 6 months, I took the MCAT and scored a 24 (P: 7, B: 8, V: 9, WS: R). I was so discouraged with my score that I haven’t yet bothered to apply to any schools this year. I’m now starting to re-assess my situation, and I’m tyring to come up with a game plan.
I’m 32, graduated from an Ivy League university, already have my MBA from a top business school, and have a successful career in the medical device industry. However, I still have a strong desire to become a doctor, and I know there is only one way to do that. Any advice on how to get back on track and become a successful candidate?
Best,
JMG

Hi there,
Your 24 if combined with a solid undergraduate GPA may put you within the grasp of some DO schools. If you want to become a physician, DO is an excellent route to take at this point.
If you decide to retake the MCAT, then you need to be very sure that you can do better. Two mediocre scores look worse than one no matter what your GPA. If you can figure out what you need to work on and get the job done, then retaking is not a bad option. Just be sure on the re-take.
Natalie

Dude! Get back on track!!! Howz that? But really, do you know why you scored so differently from what you had expected? How did you study? You’ll need to know that before you retake it. Perhaps you can go to a school that values your medical device and your management experience more than others. I have that too, and when I talk with some advisors in the bio fields, they really discount my experience, but when I talk with actual people at the med schools themselves, they seem very interested in someone with my experience. Try looking at schools that have just started biomedical programs, or are interested in expanding them, especially if you have experience with sexy devices like cardiology and not just needles.
For me it was the other way around: I was discouraged during studying, and got more encouraged afterwards to apply to other places, but my 30Q isn’t enough for the big devicey-places like Case and Johns Hopkins.

at least 4 options:
1. apply to schools where a 24 gives you a good chance of getting in (like Natalie said)
2. retake MCAT and get higher score. I’d want to know much more about how you studied, your background, your practice test scores, etc. before giving any specific advice for improvement. But many people have done it, and it’s certainly possible.
3. enroll in post-bacc program that gets you into its own med school but has lower MCAT requirements
4. decide not to be a doctor (sounds like you aren’t interested in this one)
good luck!

Your best score was verbal reasoning; that’s good. Verbal reasoning is regarded as highly important by med schools.
Did you take an MCAT preparatory course or just study on your own? There is a strategy to doing well on the MCAT. Princeton, Kaplan, and ExamKrackers will teach you the strategy. Kaplan has a money-back guarantee, in fact. I suggest you check these out and consider a retake in April. If your practice exams aren’t several points higher than 24 then you can always back out.
Anyway, as Natalie points out, 24 is good enough to get in some medical schools. They don’t look at only the MCAT.
good luck!