Memory tips?

Well, my first semester is behind me and though I passed, I am beginning to wonder if my memory can hold all of the information it will need to hold in order for me to do well on Step 1. I took the subject board in Anatomy last semester and did below the national average which scared me somewhat. What bothered me more was that I just couldn’t remember things that at one point I had known well. So, is this a common feeling? Does anyone have any tips on how to retain this information over the long haul? It seems like I am chasing my tail sometimes, as soon as I get one piece of information firmly planted in my mind, I find that a previous piece has slipped out the back door and I have to relearn it. Thanks!

I wonder if there is anyone out there who DOES NOT feel like you. I know an awful lot of stuff seems to disappear for me as fast as I learn it. There are all kinds of tricks for learning things. I have a head full of acronyms, most of which I have forgotten what the letters stand for. The only thing that works for me is use and repetition - thats use and repetition – thats use and repetition. I got through step one ok though, not brilliantly, but ok. and stuff is starting to stick better now that I am actually using it on the wards.
Steve
UNECOM olde pharte Doc wanna be

Quote:

I have a head full of acronyms, most of which I have forgotten what the letters stand for.

Man can I relate. I still can only remember what TZBMC stood for after remembering Two Zulu’s Buggered My Cat. (British mnemonic) Temporal
Zygomatic
Bucal
Mandibular
Cervical
(Facial Branches…did I get that right?..oh god now I am panicing…)

Okay, guys, if we’re going to do mnemonics, how 'bout one for the cranial nerves. The one I learned years ago still works, but my classmates gave me a newer version.
Here’s mine: On Old Olympus Towering Top, A Frenchman And German Viewed Some Hops
The new version: Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel A Girl’s Vagina So Hot!
Somehow I think I’ll remember them both. I know I aced the cranial nerves exam!!

Quote:

Does anyone have any tips on how to retain this information over the long haul?

I used to have a good system for remembering things - but I forgot it.
Thanks you and good night!
Craig