Military Sponsorship

My son, 17, is looking at joining the military. I am willing to sign him up for AF or Navy and started to read their respective websites.

Found out they will pay for medical school, residency if given three years post-residency back to Navy.

So, I reviewed age limits (I’m 44). Could not find the tiny little print where it said, “Thoust ancient graduates driving pterodactyls, shant need apply” type language.

Anyone know if this is true? I’m thinking to myself: school paid for, residency paid for, three years post-residency paid for, commissioned officer WITH a retirement fund…

That old saying, “If it’s too good to be true…” is popping up in my head.

If you apply to the military medical school, the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences (USUHS), the upper age limit is 30 for civilians and enlisted personnel applicants and up to 35 for commissioned officers who have enough service time as commissioned officers. There is a 7 year obligation after residency in exchange for the tuition-free medical education and the commissioned officer pay and privileges during medical school. Prior military, ROTC graduates, and service academy graduates definitely have an advantage in applying to USUHS. You have to remember, though, that newly graduated medical officers do not go directly into a residency. They become general medical officers (GMOs) assigned to a unit then after a 3 or 4 year duty tour can enter a residency. For the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP), the upper age limit is defined as the age where the applicant can serve at least 20 years commissioned (not enlisted) service when the applicant reaches the age of 55 (as I remember). What that means for civilian and enlisted HPSP applicants is that the upper age limit for them would be 34. But the services lately have been having a tough time recruiting physicians. I have heard that they will consider age waivers for fully-trained physicians. I haven’t heard of any age waivers being approved for HPSP applicants nor for USUHS applicants. Unfortunately, in the military, ageism is still allowed. Hopefully, that’ll change in the near future.

Additionally, while the scholarship benefits sound great, military physicians will readily admit that you have to have an unwavering desire and a clear understanding of what you’re getting into to serve in the military as a military physician. Otherwise, you’ll be incredibly miserable and regretful of your decision.

As an alternative, there is the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship which is somewhat similar to the HPSP but without the upper age limit.

Also, as an alternative, you can also join the US Public Health Service (PHS) Commissioned Corps and enjoy many of same perks and privileges that commissioned officers in the five armed services enjoy but have a significant lesser chance of being deployed into a combat zone. I remember the upper age limit was 44 for the PHS Corps.

That’s what I thought… I’m too old but here’s the link to the site, and specific language as well:

Navy Physician Link

Specific Requirements

To qualify for Active Duty employment consideration in the Navy Medical Corps, you must:

• Be a U.S. citizen

* Be a graduate of an eligible medical school accredited by the AMA or the AOA (which I also read elsewhere said you could be in the premed part)

• Have completed one year of graduate school in a program approved by the AMA or AOA (interns currently in training may also apply)

• Have a current state medical license within one year of entering the Navy Medical Corps

• Be willing to serve a minimum of three years of Active Duty

* Be between the ages of 18 to 62

• Be in good physical condition and pass a full medical examination

There are some older threads on this subject. One of our members, Tara Cook, M.D., is a former Army officer and West Point grad, now a resident having completed med school on an Air Force scholarship. After she finishes her neurology residency, she’ll owe time to the Air Force but I don’t know exactly how much. (Her screen name is tec )You can search for “military scholarship” or some such phrase to turn up her posts and others.

Tara has repeatedly made the point, and it bears repeating here: you MUST want to be a member of the Armed Forces FIRST, and a doctor second. You MUST be committed to the military. There is a lot more to being an Army/Air Force/Navy doc than simply paying back some time.

Minor correction: I believe that Navy doctors first complete their intern year of residency and then do their GMO tour. (You can actually be a fully licensed independent physician only after completion of an internship.)

I have worked with current and former Navy docs and all of them are proud to serve, all of them are great docs, and all of them would agree with Tara: military medicine is a very different animal.

Mary

(Go Navy!)

• Mary Renard Said:
Tara has repeatedly made the point, and it bears repeating here: you MUST want to be a member of the Armed Forces FIRST, and a doctor second.

I have worked with current and former Navy docs and all of them are proud to serve, all of them are great docs, and all of them would agree with Tara: military medicine is a very different animal.

Mary

(Go Navy!)

Thank you. I don't think my priorities would be focused appropriately. My commitment to the military would be solid but lack passion, if that makes sense.

Beyond that, there is the reality of what I'd have to give up (my golden, for instance) which I'm unwilling to do.

Thought the idea might be of use to discuss and possibly for others to think about if it fit their situation.

I was going to mention the Navy. I think they are the only ones w/o an age 30 cut off. Though, with the war right now, I’ve put it out of my mind as a mother of three littles. Coast Guard sounded promissing, as they are more state side, but they have an age limit I believe.

I am pretty sure I’ve seen mention of Coasties ending up deployed to places that are nowhere near a U.S. coast… my son the Navy pilot knows people in the Navy who’ve ended up assigned to Army or Marine Corps units in Iraq and Afghanistan. If you are in any branch of the Armed Services, you can be sent anywhere.

Mary