Miserable MCAT score

It has been a while since my last post. In that time I have completed all of my prereqs with A level marks in all of them. I am also an attorney and professor that works full time and did so while taking the classes. Last August I took the MCAT for the first time and blew it-ergo-less than a 24 (6 BS, 7 PS, 9 VR). I did not take a prep course and had not yet taken physics. I applied to two schools and was rejected by one and received a secondary from the other. The second school has not yet invited me to interview (ie…i am the proverbial snowball in hell). I plan to take the MCAT again in August. Any advice on prep course (PLEASE-my schedule will not permit an online course)??? Value of examcrackers??? Any advice on how to improve my application (PLEASE)???
I cannot sit out another year!

Sorry to hear about that; it sounds like maybe you were trying to do too much, and especially with not having finished all of the pre-reqs first. Here is an entire MCAT subforum full of suggestions and help for you. Best of luck with your app this year.

First of all SLOW down! you shot yourself in the foot by taking the MCAT w/o physics…this is a HUGE component of the MCAT as you well know by now. Rushing in this process is highly detrimental and now you have to do some damage control. Yes, you need to retake the MCAT and do much better. Sure, you might still hear from this medical school and possibly get interviewed so all is not lost. If you do not hear from them soon then you need to regroup and move on. I took Princeton Review and loved it! it is well taught (at least in Nashville it was) and the exams were key. EK has excellent material and can also be of great use. I think your biggest problem is this need to rush through and get in NOW…this is a big issue with many non-trads so do not feel alone but what happens is that due to rushing they bung up and then need to take another year to redo what they messed up in…just calm down and realize that no matter how old you are medical school will still be there for you. So slow down take a deep breath and regroup.

I dont quite understand why your schedule wont allow an online course, this is probably the most flexible option. Im doing Kaplan online and its going pretty well, I work at my own pace and take practice tests at the testing center on the weekends. The MCAT takes time to prepare for, so you have to make time somehow, good luck.

I’m sorry to read this, but to be honest unless you want to go to the Caribbean I think it will be another year now, to make the application better you will need physics and take the MCAT over, I really do not think a 22 will get you in anywhere in the US, Good Luck

Quote:

It has been a while since my last post. In that time I have completed all of my prereqs with A level marks in all of them. I am also an attorney and professor that works full time and did so while taking the classes. Last August I took the MCAT for the first time and blew it-ergo-less than a 24 (6 BS, 7 PS, 9 VR). I did not take a prep course and had not yet taken physics. I applied to two schools and was rejected by one and received a secondary from the other. The second school has not yet invited me to interview (ie…i am the proverbial snowball in hell). I plan to take the MCAT again in August. Any advice on prep course (PLEASE-my schedule will not permit an online course)??? Value of examcrackers??? Any advice on how to improve my application (PLEASE)???
I cannot sit out another year!

Wcliffa,
Actually your record sounds pretty good–you got all A’s and only need physics, and a 22 MCAT. People do get into medical school (esp. osteopathic school) with those stats. National average for osteo matriculants was 25, so you don’t have far to go to have a competitive application. Given that you’re trained in law you will probably ace the MCAT once you learn the proper strategies. You have the analytical skills; take Kaplan or Princeton or EK and complete your physics course and reapply. Also you might want to apply to more than two schools, to spread the net more widely.

I understand you not wanting to wait out another year but you really need to have completed all of the courses before taking the MCAT. That being said, we have had one member get into a US DO school with a 22, and I assume a good gpa, etc. Mine was also a 22 and I am in an offshore school. Be very careful about a retake…and make sure you are prepared, as stats show that many times your score will even drop unless you prepare significantly better. I hope that doesn’t discourage you, but encourages you to find a way to prepare better. Take care and good luck,
Kathy

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am planning on taking the MCAT again in August for the 2007 entering class. I think I spent too much time last summer trying to learn physics on my own. I am now completing physics II and I think that my MCAT studies are going much better. I am planning on taking the online Kaplan MCAT course–any strong objections???

I think you may be making reference to me. I had a 22 MCAT and had multiple acceptances into DO schools. Now, I don’t want to misguide you, as I know this is not the norm, I did have a very competitve GPA and had a 4.0 in all prereqs including biochemistry and genetics. I, like you, did not take a prep course.
Good Luck and I hope you kick butt!

I also had a 22 on the MCAT. I had multiple DO acceptances as well. My GPA was not a 4.0. I don’t remember what it was TBH… :wink: I was able to graduate cum laude though… whatever that designation is…
don’t give up hope… there are schools that will look at more than your MCAT score.
I also did not take a prep course. I had taken Physics prior to the MCAT.
Good luck to you.
Andrea

Actually, pseudomonas, it wasn’t you, but Mary BB at VCOM, but it just goes to show that getting in with a 22 isn’t a one time thing!!