More surgery for me

Had my appendix out over the weekend. The night of the hurricane my stomach started to bother me and when I went to the health service on Friday they sent me to the ER. They expected I'd go to Georgetown but all my doctors are affilated with GW so I went there. On Saturday morning they took it out. Luckily they did it laproscopically (sp?) so I was up and walking around pretty soon after.
The other good news was my physics prof let me take the exam we had scheduled for Monday on Wednesday. The bad part was my house didn't get power back until last night (Glover Park). I stayed at the Holiday Inn for a few nights while I was recovering.
While it is amazing what they can do now to make this as easy as it was, I really, really don't want any more surgery for a very, very long time.

QUOTE (Calvin -- in a box by the river @ Sep 25 2003, 10:23 PM)
Had my appendix out over the weekend. The night of the hurricane my stomach started to bother me and when I went to the health service on Friday they sent me to the ER. They expected I'd go to Georgetown but all my doctors are affilated with GW so I went there. On Saturday morning they took it out. Luckily they did it laproscopically (sp?) so I was up and walking around pretty soon after.
The other good news was my physics prof let me take the exam we had scheduled for Monday on Wednesday. The bad part was my house didn't get power back until last night (Glover Park). I stayed at the Holiday Inn for a few nights while I was recovering.
While it is amazing what they can do now to make this as easy as it was, I really, really don't want any more surgery for a very, very long time.

Hi Alison
Glad to hear that you had a good experience with the scope and the surgeons. If you had been at UVa, you might have gotten me for a surgeon as I have been doing the lap appies lately. The power in half of my house is still out. Of course it is the half that has the computer so I am unable to communicate from home. Well, I am really going to bed this time. Hope the exam worked out for you.
Natalie laugh.gif

Allyson, good grief. You definitely have racked up enough surgery hours to qualify for some sort of frequent flyer discount! I am glad it went well. Recovering from surgery is tough, even if it was laparoscopic. And that sucks to be without power for SO long. I felt like a wimp for complaining - ours was only out for 62 hours which in retrospect was nothing. I am glad things are returning to normal for you and hope that you continue to recover well. hang in there in physics!

Thanks, both of you.
Yeah, I have had enough surgery lately. NO MORE! While the hospital stay was fine (another GW experience), I have to admit I was less than thrilled with the surgeon post-op. He was fine, I just felt like the information flow was lacking and to be honest (when am I not?) the Resident who came to talk to me late the afternoon of my surgery (this was after they forgot I was there for a while) was possibly the most arrogant person I have ever met. Did not go over well. Made me really hope if I make it to medical school I don't end up like that.
The other doctors who treated me were wonderful. The next person who saw after Dr. Personality was fantastic.
The other thing I learned is a note from another doctor explaining why you are at the ED will work wonders. I waited no more than ten minutes before they saw me.
The recovery has been great, too. I will have the tiniest scars and feel almost 100%.
That may be more information than any of you were looking for but I have a few minutes before I can get into the library…

One last thought… people who don’t know me all that well have been all “I am so sorry you had to have your appendix out!” My friends have all been “It’s probably a good idea for you to get rid of it here so it doesn’t burst in some remote place!” When I was in Nepal a few years ago, another trekker had to be airlifted to Kathmandu for his appendix and I remember thinking how much I wouldn’t want surgery there. One less thing to worry about!

I'm glad your surgery is over. Did you stay awake for this one like you did for your other surgeries? You will be an excellent surgeon someday because you know what it's like to be a patient! At least it's over. Good luck on your next exam. I hope it goes well. Keep me posted.
Love,
Stacy

Thanks. I was asleep.
Am much, much better now. The incisions are almost completely healed.
I have to ask, am I just a total spaz or is it normal to be really tired after? I feel like it was such a simple thing but my energy level is just now coming back to normal.

NO you are not a spaz. If I remember this explanation correctly, the anesthetic gases deposit into body fat and slowly dissipate over days if not weeks. And even skinny people have some body fat.
Recovering from general anesthesia is a BIG DEAL.
I had gen'l anesthetic for a laparotomy, and epidural anesthetic w/ sedation for repairing my ankle. The difference between the two was absolutely amazing. I was a lot younger and more fit when I had the lap but I was exhausted for two weeks.

Thanks, Mary. I thought I was just being really wimpy!