Motivations for studing medicine

Call me a cynic, but it seems to me that even genuine motivations for studying medicine cannot help but sound cliched, no matter how sincere the applicant is. If we were really humanitarians, wouldn’t we all have an undying devotion to bringing medical care to migrant workers in third world countries for 4 dollars a week? I know why I want to study medecine, but I cannot hope to convey this to an admissions officer in an interview without it sounding totally packaged and pre-digested. I’m scared to admit an interest in the “practice” of medical care (such as surgery) without gushing forth on my love of humanity. Can’t i want to study medicine because it interests me, and because I’m engaged by the problems it presents rather than because I am a humanitarian?
Do traditional applicants get a “pass” on this? I’m under the impression that as non-traditional applicants, we have a special burden of demonstrating our motivation. Because we have changed, we are viewed with a special kind of skepticism, no? Honestly, what “legitimate” reason can I give for wanting to be a doctor rather than, say, a nurse. Arguably, they have MORE patient contact; they have MORE day to day responsibility; they are ussually MORE important in the day to day needs of thier patients than a doctor is. The only reasons I can come up with are selfish ones, not benevolent ones.
For those who have had interviews and those who have a comfortable articulated response to these questions, please–your comments are welcome.
Algernon

I’ve often had the same thoughts. What can you possibly say to the interviewer that doesn’t sound like you’re saying what they want to hear, and what they’ve heard from a million applicants.
I think it’s in your sincerity, body language, and how you present the information rather than what you say. If you truly like to help people, then you will convey that in body language and verbal tones more than words.
As far as your comments on why not a nurse… wow… I am a perfect answer to that one. I AM a nurse. A nurse who got the Nursing degree only to get a Nurse Practitioner degree, only to find out it was not enough for me. Now, I’m stuck practicing as an RN when I want to be a DO or MD.
Yes, I PHYSICALLY work harder than the docs that I work with, but not mentally by any means. Nursing is technically challenging, but there’s only so much to it. Eventually (quickly for me), it gets boring and monotonous. (I guess everything does, just at different rates). There’s really not much thinking to nursing. Yes, we are trained to be able to recognize abnormalities, but in my opinion, it’s much more challenging and exciting to figure out what’s causing the abnormal condition rather than just saying, “Well, that spot sure is red” or “Hmmm, those legs sure are swollen”.
Follow dr. orders, do what they say, and (the thinking part) question the dr. if the order disagrees with your experience or the literature.
I don’t think it’s fair to say nurses are more important than doctors because without doctors, nurses could not function.
As far as the “burden of demonstrating our motivation”… I really have a hard time believing that the admissions committee can actually say to theirselves that a 22 year old knows more about what they want to do in life than an older, non-traditional student. How dare they question our career choice, especially if we have had other careers; or better yet, experience in health care.

Bottom line is, the answer to why we want to study medicine is going to have to be cliched, unless you want to risk saying something so different that the answer you give in itself prevents you from matriculating.

"I AM a nurse. A nurse who got the Nursing degree only to get a Nurse Practitioner degree, only to find out it was not enough for me. Now, I’m stuck practicing as an RN when I want to be a DO or MD."

RN2MD:
You should seriously consider taking your state exam for board certitication for Nurse Practitioner if you have not already done so. Why be ‘stuck’ working as a nurse when you have your NP degree. I think you will find that your autonomy will increase as you build mutually respectable relationships with docs. You will probably also derive more satisfaction going to work. Also, I think working in a teaching vs. a community hospital affects they way nursing is viewed overall.
lizzied

RN2MD:
I can certainly relate to your situation, I am a RN who has worked in a large teaching hospital (ER,micu) for the last 4 years and has looked into going to medical school. I had got into nursing with the long term goal of becoming a crna and actually have a interview this month. Although, I feel my in my heart I would would rather pursue medicine, I just don’t feel it is as practical at this point for me. I don’t have organ. chem or physics yet, not to mention the mcat, mainly because I spent the last 3 years in a RN/BSN program and just graduated. But reading your post does stir up some emotions about which path to choose; I have spoke to many crna’s who appear to be happy with their profession, not to mention that the opopportunities and income have never been better. I think I could be happy being as cool.gif a crna, but know I would be happy being a MD, however at 36 with two small children and some prereq’s left I am looking at an 8-9 year stretch (prereq, med school, res) as opposed to 32 months in the anesthesia program I have applied to.

QUOTE (lizzied @ Feb 26 2003, 09:16 AM)
"I AM a nurse. A nurse who got the Nursing degree only to get a Nurse Practitioner degree, only to find out it was not enough for me. Now, I'm stuck practicing as an RN when I want to be a DO or MD."

RN2MD:
You should seriously consider taking your state exam for board certitication for Nurse Practitioner if you have not already done so. Why be 'stuck' working as a nurse when you have your NP degree. I think you will find that your autonomy will increase as you build mutually respectable relationships with docs. You will probably also derive more satisfaction going to work. Also, I think working in a teaching vs. a community hospital affects they way nursing is viewed overall.
lizzied

lizzied:
I can't because I only finished the 1st semester of the Master's in Nursing. I didn't continue because I didn't like what I was being taught... (nothing). I wrote a paper on the history of enchiladas (no kidding).
So, I'm an ER nurse in a 30 bed rural hospital, taking the MCAT next month and praying to God that a med school will accept me.
QUOTE (astuprich @ Mar 5 2003, 10:51 AM)
RN2MD:
I can certainly relate to your situation, I am a RN who has worked in a large teaching hospital (ER,micu) for the last 4 years and has looked into going to medical school. I had got into nursing with the long term goal of becoming a crna and actually have a interview this month. Although, I feel my in my heart I would would rather pursue medicine, I just don't feel it is as practical at this point for me. I don't have organ. chem or physics yet, not to mention the mcat, mainly because I spent the last 3 years in a RN/BSN program and just graduated. But reading your post does stir up some emotions about which path to choose; I have spoke to many crna's who appear to be happy with their profession, not to mention that the opopportunities and income have never been better. I think I could be happy being as cool.gif a crna, but know I would be happy being a MD, however at 36 with two small children and some prereq's left I am looking at an 8-9 year stretch (prereq, med school, res) as opposed to 32 months in the anesthesia program I have applied to.

Yes, you would probably be happy as a CRNA. They are (in my opinion) the closest thing you can be to a physician without being called Dr. The pay is also excellent.
If I liked surgery, I'd do the same thing. I just don't have an interest in the surgical setting.
Good luck. I'm sure you'll be great. But, if it bothers you that much, it really isn't too late for med school. If you can find a college that offers the prereqs online or during a summer or something, you can get them done quickly. And, don't think of residency as part of the school. Just think of it as being an underpaid doctor (that's what residents really are).
If you don't take the MD/DO route, I'm sure you'll be fine with CRNA. CRNAs are respected, highly trained, and paid WELL. That's hardly something to be ashamed of.

asturich,
RN2MD is right…you will somehow end up ten years older anyway. However, I too know a bunch of CRNA's that are really happy and prosperous. I could never do it because i don't like patients who are asleep most of the day and then wake up nauseated. However, your background should make you a shoe-in for crna school. By the way, from what i understand those programs are no less challenging than a med school type of regimen.
RN2MD…good luck on your MCAT ! I'll hopefully be in your shoes in 1 year. YIKES>>>>