MS thesis vs non-thesis?

I posted originally in SDN, but for those who use OPM only, I’ll post here for your advice/suggestions…

Having switched gears in grad school, I’m planning to begin work on a MS in Biology by Fall 08, Spring 09 at the latest. I have to take both OChems and Molecular Cell (university I will complete the MS requires Mol Cell as a pre-req for many of the courses).

Thesis route-40 hrs including 26 hrs of classwork to include Biochem and 2 hrs each of seminar and topics. Up to 6 hrs of research with a minimum of 14 hrs of Thesis Research.

Non-thesis route 40 hrs of classwork to include Biochem and 2 hrs each of seminar and topics. Up to 4 hrs of research and completion of a laboratory or literature-based research paper.

Courses I plan to take either way: Neuroanatomy, Immunology, Advanced Human Phys, Endocrinology, Biochem, possibly Advanced Molecular Cell

I was told that med schools would take someone more seriously if they do a thesis, not to say a non-thesis graduate would be dismissed. I was also informed that doing a thesis can take up to a year to two years longer beyond the coursework required for the degree. Kind of bummed me out a bit because I was planning on doing the thesis not just so med schools would take me seriously and to stand out of the crowd but more for the challenge of truly understanding what research is and being a part of a meaningful project other than cleaning out test tubes in a lab once a week. However, I’ll be 27 next month. By the time I finish grad school on say a non-thesis route, I’ll be a couple of months shy of 30, a time I hope to be getting ready for my first year of medical school. My goal has been to be able to practice post-fellowship or near-end of one by the time I’m 40. you get the idea.

What would be some options for me to consider with my graduate studies?

How long have you known of people to take to complete their research and defend their thesis successfully? Would I be better off choosing a PhD path with the time it would take?

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read this.

I can’t answer a single one of your specific questions, but I will just observe that even as little teeny words on a screen, your enthusiasm for the thesis route comes through in this post and so I think you should continue to think seriously about it. Ages like 30 and 40 (and 50 and 60) are just numbers. It sounds to me like your goal is more about what you do than when you do it. Sure, getting to “where you want to be” by age 40 sounds good, but if you are where you want to be and you happen to be 41, is that so bad?

Good luck as you sort this out.

Mary

Hm. I have a MEd and can’t think of a single time other than in casual conversation what my thesis was. I actually didn’t do a thesis - my program was similar to yours and we took extra coursework and had to do a culminating project or literature review. Most people automatically assume that you have do a thesis as part of a Masters program. Anymore, I’m not sure that is the case. Many master’s programs offer alternatives to theses.

Whether or not it makes a difference for med school admission . . . I don’t think it’s going to be a deal breaker per se. Having scientific research in the form of a thesis isn’t going to hurt you, especially if its publishable. At the same time, taking the extra coursework sounds like it will benefit you in preparing for med school.

Research isn’t a necessity for medical school or residency and the recurring theme I’ve heard over and over is “if you’re not interested in research, don’t do it”. Find other things that interest you more and shine in those. If, on the other hand, you do want to do research at some point in time, go ahead and do the research. Depending on what you research, it might not take as much extra time as you think. Plus, if you want to do research in medical school, you might be able to build upon what you did for your thesis.

I honestly find it hard to believe that taking a non-thesis route would be held against you in applying, but if you’re truly concerned about it, perhaps you can contact a couple of admissions counselors and see what they think.

Good luck!

PS - I’m doing a dual degree MPH/MD and my MPH program doesn’t require a thesis.

I agree with Mary about what seems to be your inclination. A master’s thesis in and of itself isn’t going to be that big a deal–if the process gets you publicatiosn, it will be. I think you should also start looking into MD/PhD programs. If you could find one where you could continue the work you are interested in and also get medical training, you would generally have it paid for (including the MD part)–consider it like a geek’s version of military or health service corps scholarships, and therefore definitely worth the time if it’s something you’d like to do.

j

• joewright Said:
I think you should also start looking into MD/PhD programs. If you could find one where you could continue the work you are interested in and also get medical training, you would generally have it paid for (including the MD part)--consider it like a geek's version of military or health service corps scholarships, and therefore definitely worth the time if it's something you'd like to do.

As a person who is doing this exact thing, I'd suggest some consideration of MD/PhD. If I can get admitted to the same school where I'm doing my Master's work, I won't have to reatake the courses I'm completing in the medical school (although I'll still need the credit hours) and I could potentially start the MD/PhD program at the dissertation only phase (at least that's what I'm shooting for). So come on over and take a walk on the "darkside"!