MSTP E-mails

Has anyone else been deluged with e-mails regarding MSTP programs since the MCAT? I’ve received about 25 of them so far. I scored ok on the test, perhaps AAMC releases a list of scores separately? I have not considered them due to my lower GPA. Any thoughts?

I’m getting them too, one mentioned my MCAT score. So, AAMC must give the scores to them.

I’m not considering the MD/PhD route because of the many years involved. If I were younger, I would consider it because most are paid for by the NIH.

Yes, I’ve gotten them. I think it’s borderline shady. UAB, for example, had an acceptance rate of ~10% for OOS last year. So why do a mass email that has mostly non-Alabama residents?

One student posted on SDN that he was sent an email soliciting his application to the MSTP at UIC, although he scored a 27 on the MCAT. I strongly doubt he would be accepted to an MD/PhD program with that score, so what’s the deal?

Maybe schools get a partial kickback from AMCAS for the primary app fee.

I’m tempted to apply to one of those programs, so that when I’m screened out pre-interview I can refer to the email and say “Hey… I thought you wanted me!”

It appears that AAMC sells info/mailing lists to anyone who wants it. Podiatry schools, Caribbean Med schools, Dental, etc.

Maybe they are looking to recoup some expenses by increasing the applications to their programs. While I enjoy research and have worked in a number of NIH trials, my GPA puts me out of range for such a position

There appears to be a trend that the best and the brightest do not apply to the MD/PhD programs as they did say 2 decades or more again, possibly due to the length of the program and the lack of financial payoff in the job market. This trend maybe lagging behind the increase in medical school applications.

The general demographic trend up thru the late 1980’s was that medical school applications were high, the medical profession was lucrative, and the being a doctor was running your own practice. The MD/PhD programs attracted those best and brightest for research.

As both business (which includes law somewhat) and technology grew in the late 1980’s, it attracted many students away from biological/life sciences. Much more money with less years of training as a doctor was attractive to a large slice of students. Remember that there is about a 4 to 5 year lag from when students entering college choose a major until they enter medical school (yes, we are non-trads but we a small minority). So medical school applications starting dropping off and reach a low about 2004 (I don’t have the data in front of me so bear with me if I am off a few years). The dot.com bubble burst in 1999 and there was a minor recessions late 2001 into 2002. Both of these events appeared to prompted incoming college students to switch back into the life sciences and about 2005 med schools starting increasing medical school applications.

I would think the MSTP programs are lagging behind in this increase as there seems to be a trend amongst students to view college and professional life in marketable and lifestyle terms. First just the lag in applications behind regular programs, probably applications in MSTP haven’t increased as fast. Second, the length of programs as 7 years. While regular medical training is that long, this doesn’t seem to impact regular med school applicants who generally only see the 4 years coming up. Third, is the perception of how much an MD/PhD will be worth compared to say the lucrative specialities. Fourth and last, I would venture to say that the trend to fewer academic jobs available and less grant money (even though I am sure a large slice of MD/PhDs go into the private sector) discourage from students.

In sum, best and brightest are attracted elsewhere and lowers the pool of applicants. MTSP are just trying to increase the pool.

Anyway my sociologcal/demographic perspective.

A well-reasoned analysis, thanks.