My Chances?

First post here but there is a ton of info on these boards. A little about me, I’m 26 and have a BA from a well respected school in the greater Boston area. I now work at a medically based health facility that is part/connected to/owned by a local hospital and right on the same campus as the hospital. The facility has many functions…a gym for the general public, rehab for post-op, cardiac rehab, cancer program and others. Since working there and being around doctors, health professionals and patients all day I have decided that I would love to one day go to medical school. I am now back in school (just started this summer semester) in the Kinesiology program and plan on getting a seconds degree (BS). While doing so I have decided to add a semester or two and complete all the pre-req courses for med school since many I will have to take anyway. My problem is this…I had a 2.3 GPA the first time around. I have no doubt that at this point in my life I will have the GPA and MCAT scores (when the time comes) but wonder if it will even matter. Mind you I am basically going through an entire second degree since my first was a BA and very few classes (2-3) are going to transfer over to this current degree. With my current job and all the connections I have with doctors on a daily basis I will also have no problem getting as much shadowing/volunteer work I want. What do you all think?

Medical school admissions committees will see all of your grades, but they will also able to see drastic grade changes between your first degree and second degree. Case in point, poster pi1304 had a lousy GPA from his first bachelor’s degree that was unrelated to medicine. While working, he went back to school this time as a premed. He’s now a medical student at Ohio State. So, yes, you can do it.

This is awesome to hear. Just knowing that someone out there has had the same issues as me and still been able to overcome then shows me that where there is a will there is a way. Now my turn!

You might read about Old Man Dave’s academic history. I’m sure it is in the archives. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Judy

I most def will. I would love to see the path others have taken that are in the same sort of situation. Thanks for the heads up.

• cm82682 Said:
This is awesome to hear. Just knowing that someone out there has had the same issues as me and still been able to overcome then shows me that where there is a will there is a way. Now my turn!

yes many of us on here are in similar positions in some way or another.. My GPA is on the same page as yours so I have a lot of overcoming to do as well. But the will is certainly there!! Good luck with your journey!

CM,

Think of it this way:

You are wise enough at 26 to realize what you want to do, and what you need to do to meet that want, rather than fiddle-faddle around for another 20 years wondering “what if” and THEN making the decision to go for it.

Kudos to you!