my intro

greetings to all!
I've been lurking for a while but I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself. This site is great! It's good to know that we are not alone in pursuit of our dreams.
I'm 30 years old. I worked as a financial analyst on wall street for a number of years and then I changed careers and spent a couple of years working in television production. Somehow (I'll spare everyone the gory details) I came to the decision that I want to be a doctor. I was a history major in undergrad and I didn't take any science classes.
I'm now doing my post-bacc at SUNY Stony Brook (any other stony brook people out there?). This semester I'm taking chemistry and calculus. I'm also volunteering as an EMT.
good luck to everyone.
phyta

Yea Stony Brook!
I did my BA there oh so many years ago…
Are you volunteering on the Student Ambulance Corps?
I am currently in Financial Services and will going to SUNY/Old Westbury in the Fall (logistics more than anything else).
Yes, you are not alone.
Rich

No, gonnif, my town has a volunteer ambulance service. It seems finance doesn't have a lot of staying power, huh?
Anybody else out there from NY?

QUOTE (phyta @ Feb 4 2003, 10:21 PM)
Anybody else out there from NY?

Yep - upstate, here. And I was in television before med school, too! Small world.

Hi Phyta,
Welcome to OPM. I'm from NY as well…I went to SUNY Brockport as an undergrad…my husband went to UB. Now we call Maryland home.
OPM is great…and reading through the posts are very helpful. Hope all goes well for you at Stonybrook!!! Best of Luck, Anna

Hi all;
Seemed like a good time to throw my hat into the intro ring as well! I just relocated from Rochester, NY to Durham, NC this past July … I’m in my 2nd semester of part-time post-bacc classes at unc-chapel hill (kicked algebra’s butt, loathed bio exams, now knee-deep in gen chem)… <!–emo&<_dry.gif
My BFA is in Film/Video/Animation, and I was a motion picture cameraperson for a while, but now I’ve reverted to my childhood dream of becoming a doctor… luckily I have a very patient fiancee who is willing to shoulder more than his share of the bills for a while! Plus, my Dad was a PA before starting med school at age 32, so he’s my inspiration.
i’m finding it a little difficult and a lot frustrating being back in school - i went from teaching at a college (rochester institute of technology) to sitting in a class chock full o’freshmen in the space of about 6 months! tres odd! rolleyes.gif
anyway, y’all seem like a real good bunch, and i’m looking forward to learning along with you… anybody else here doing post-bacc classwork @ unc?
glad to know you!
– halle

Hey Halle,
Welcome to club!!! It's no doubt a bit strange to be in a class with a bunch of kids. Last semester was my return to school with general biology and a bunch of 18-19 year olds complaining about the work. But what are you going to do? There are no ifs ands or buts about the classes that med schools require. Just sit back, study hard, and use the freshmans various complaints and stories as a source of amusement and reminder of how much better it is to be a little older and wiser. At least that's how I view it. Hope to hear more from you on the board!