My latest geeky orgo study tips

Hello fellow premeds:

I’ve been meaning to post this forever, but secondary applications have eaten my free time lately (now that I’m done with all my prereq’s and MCAT…blessed event!). Here is the secret weapon that I swear by for organic chemistry, especially Orgo 2. I got the idea from my Barron’s Orgo Cards (which I love and highly recommend).

The idea is that whenever a new functional group (and its reactions) is introduced in class, make a synthesis map for it (see file attached). The resolution in this file probably isn’t good enough to see all the details if you print it out, but really these things only “work” if you create them yourself as part of your studying process. On my maps I have color coded each functional group, and this color code remains the same throughout all the maps I made (there are about 12 of them in all). So get a bunch of different colored markers to work with from the start (at least 12 colors).

When you have gotten a map laid out and color coded, then make a separate sheet that just lists the starting and ending compounds, and see if you can fill in what reagents are required. Try to visualize the map while you do this, then go back and check how you did. I got A’s in both orgos studying with this approach, and I think it is especially good for visual learners. You really begin to “see” the reactions in your head when you’re recalling it on exams… give it a try! Half the battle is just figuring out how to organize so much information coherently. I hope this helps ease the pain of Orgo for some of my premed sibs out there!

Regards,

RMG, Dr. 2B

Attached files 1158809335-CH15_16Rxns.pdf (100.9 KB)Â
  • anatomical Said:
Hello fellow premeds:

I've been meaning to post this forever, but secondary applications have eaten my free time lately (now that I'm done with all my prereq's and MCAT...blessed event!). Here is the secret weapon that I swear by for organic chemistry, especially Orgo 2. I got the idea from my Barron's Orgo Cards (which I love and highly recommend).

The idea is that whenever a new functional group (and its reactions) is introduced in class, make a synthesis map for it (see file attached). The resolution in this file probably isn't good enough to see all the details if you print it out, but really these things only "work" if you create them yourself as part of your studying process. On my maps I have color coded each functional group, and this color code remains the same throughout all the maps I made (there are about 12 of them in all). So get a bunch of different colored markers to work with from the start (at least 12 colors).

When you have gotten a map laid out and color coded, then make a separate sheet that just lists the starting and ending compounds, and see if you can fill in what reagents are required. Try to visualize the map while you do this, then go back and check how you did. I got A's in both orgos studying with this approach, and I think it is especially good for visual learners. You really begin to "see" the reactions in your head when you're recalling it on exams... give it a try! Half the battle is just figuring out how to organize so much information coherently. I hope this helps ease the pain of Orgo for some of my premed sibs out there!

Regards,

RMG, Dr. 2B

That's awesome. That's exactly what I did in orgo 2. In fact it is probably what got me through that friggin' class. I would then for every test, make a synthesis map of everything that was going to be on the test. I just numbered each reaction, and wrote the numbers on an answer sheet (you may have done this too, I didn't look yet) and tested myself that way.

Thanks! While I’m not there yet I did do a search this weekend on how to study for chem. I’ve been having trouble as the information progressed thru the class and finally realized my problem…I don’t know how to study for me. For the majority of my undergrad classes everything was basically a no brainer but this science stuff just starts to get jumbled. The reason? I have no visual picture of the information. The stuff is just words on a page with no connections or relationships.

Found concept mapping and thought…“ya know I bet this will help in orgo”. Like I said I’m not there just yet but by this time next year I will be and this info is not going to waste.

Thanks again.

Everyone I know who had success in o-chem follows this guy’s prescription-- draw the mechanisms over and over again in your own handwriting.

Very neat…thanks for sharing that!

kris