My lurking has finally ended...new poster here

Howdy, I’m Kyle! I figured it was finally time to introduce myself…I’ve been a lurker for a long time, and I wanted to start posting. I guess I’ll start with a little about myself, and my continuing journey towards medical school. I was an extremely premature baby (25 weeks, 1.2 lbs), and so I’ve always thought that being a doctor would be the greatest job in the world. The only problem was that I was really good at English, and not so much at Biology and Calculus. I was an English major in college and really thought about going to law school, but I had this feeling that there was something “else” I was supposed to do. I just didn’t realize it was medicine until I was a senior in college. I know what a difference doctors can make in people’s lives, and I want to make that same difference. So, here I am. I’ve been really amazed and humbled by reading some of the stories people have shared about starting medical school in their 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s. I know that I’m a youngin’ by most “oldpremed” posters’ standards (I’ll be 31 when I graduate from med school, assuming everything goes as planned). Knowing how hard this is going to be on me (staying in school for the next 6 years, taking freshman chemistry as a 25 year old post-bacc, and all of that), I’ve had my share of doubts and fears…but reading about all of you who’ve overcome much greater odds than I have has just really sustained and fed my desire to not give up. I’m going to graduate with a 3.4 GPA, and I’ve been rejected by all of the post-bacc programs I applied to. However, Oldpremeds.com has taught me nothing if not to “roll with the punches, and keep on truckin’”. I’ve decided to stay at my current school after I graduate (Texas A&M…WHOOP!), and will start my pre-reqs in the fall. Mostly, I just wanted to give everyone a big “Howdy!”, and tell all of you how much I have really appreciated your stories and your encouragement. Ya’ll are great!

Welcome, welcome fellow Texan

Hello! I was an English major too (with a 3.4 gpa as a matter of fact)- really good at English, not so good at chemistry and physics in high school. But I have to tell you, as an adult student (I’ll be 30 next month) those subjects are so much easier for me now. Things I struggled with 15-odd years ago are not so hard now. I wonder if anyone else has had this experience…
I guess I’m trying to say that just because you thought you were not so good at them before - don’t be too surprised if that has changed.
Good luck!

Quote:

I’ve been rejected by all of the post-bacc programs I applied to.

Hey Kyle,
I don’t know what you are looking for in a post-bacc, but just wanted to make sure that you know that you don’t HAVE to take a formal post-bacc program. You can enroll at any college/university to take them (there are various ways to enroll post-degree to take undergrad classes).
Welcome, and good luck!