My Major

Hi Everyone!

I’ve been dropping in reading posts for several months and finally decided to register. I’ve never posted on a forum/chat before so we’ll see how this goes…

Same story as you all know by now, 37 years old, going back to school after nearly 17 years to finish a B.S. before hopefully heading off to D.O. school. Mostly I’ve been a professional fine artist, designer, author and mother with a long, successful career, which most recently includes owning a wellness center and designing/running a hospital based massage therapy program for the past 5 years. I heard about a Dr. Fullford and really started looking at Osteopathic medicine and fell in love! Anyhow, there’s more but I don’t want to bore you all… the point is, I really want to be a Family Practice D.O. and I’m planning on doing a B.S. major in Family Studies/Human Development with a minor in pre-med. I’ve been taking a lot of accelerated science classes (gen. chem, physics, stats, etc) at the community college to save time & money while still running my clinic and hospital program. So far I have a 4.0 (but now in summer Physics so we’ll see!)Anyhow, will this major/minor plan hurt my chances of getting into D.O. school? Do I need to major in biochem or physiology to be competitive? I know this question gets asked all the time but it’s intimidating to see all these younger students running around insisting that you have to major in a hardcore science to get into med school. What do you guys think?

NO, you absolutely do NOT have to major in a hard science to get into med school. Major in what you are most interested in. Do very well in your science classes. You will do fine.

Mary

No any major will be fine the bottom line is GPA, MCAT and then the rest of the app, in fact this is not said enough, Bio majors for premed is a “Dime a Dozen” seen all the time, the people who stand out with awesome stats are the ones who majored in something different, My favorite is a Concert Violinist I read about who got into medical school, just think what the ADCOM thought, “WOW look at this person, how talented!” Thats what you want the “WOW factor”.

Major in anything. Do well academically. Try very hard to get your pre-med reqs at a four-year institution.

Cheers,

Judy

• jcolwell Said:
Major in anything. Do well academically. Try very hard to get your pre-med reqs at a four-year institution.

Cheers,

Judy

I would listen to Judy she really knows about these things.

I too am a new user here and am only just beginning the process of going back to undergrad to take my pre-req’s. I’m thrilled to have found this site. Mary, your story/background is definitely inspiring, thanks so much for your reply to the other post!

Thanks so much for the insight. I have to say I really like your example about the violinist. I am hoping to bring a creative side to medicine. This past week I met with an advisor at U of A about switching my major to A&P (which I do enjoy about as much as Human Development) so I’m considering it, but the math requirement would mean 3 more courses for me thru Calc II which I really don’t want to waste time doing. For now I’m thinking about sticking to my original plan and just taking an extra A&P course or two as electives. I’ve already taken college algebra and statistics so unless you can see any reason (MCAT?)to go down the shadowy Calculus path I probably won’t venture lightly into that good night…

Many med schools require “math through Calc [single variable].” Check the MSAR to see what the requirements are for schools that you are interested in.

Cheers,

Judy