My situation. Comments? Thanks for reading :)

98-00 Attended 4-yr university wanting to go to med school later on, had poor semesters the first 2 yrs. I remembered having improved a little from semester 2-3 but the last one killed me: a 1.5 while working 25 hrs/wk at a day clinic M-F, took inorganic I, microbiology and calculus. Also after having gone through almost all of '99 seeing a few different docs about my hearing loss, was diagnosed at the end of the year with a cholesteatoma-basically dissolves the middle ear bones, and lost roughly half my hearing in my left ear. Had the cyst removed 1/00, missed work and class at times for checkups which were an hr away, and then the prosthesis was put in 5/00.

00-04 Transferred to another school, and 4.0 first semester. Next semester, 3.4-3.5 range. was admitted to our schools athletic training program, lasting from 01-03. Athletic Training is much like PT, but more focused on the athletic population. Average clinical hours 35-40/wk with 12-15 hrs of class. ended up in the 2.6-3.0 range my first two semesters in, due to workload and courseload. It was also the last time(except for summer '02 inorganic chem course: A) I took a science course because I did terrible in cell bio. I had no business taking it when I did and didn’t have the background I later learned.

After these first two semesters in the program, I adjusted well and made 3.5 and up every time but once(something like a 3.4ish). My workload and courseload remained in the same range while working as an RA the last two years, going abroad to Spain for the summer and finished out my minor during my last year. Throughout all my years of undergrad, from '99 til 1/05, I worked as a CV tech at a cardiology clinic in the nuclear department. Summer months and winter breaks mostly as well as for about 6 months after I got my degree.

After graduation, I debated on med school or stay with athletic training. I figured since I went through school for it, I might as well give it a shot. I left Alabama for the north GA mtns to do a 5 mth internship at a JuCo for athletic training. Great experience and great people there.

Following my internship, I got a position with Healthsouth for some prn work that would soon turn to something full-time. Atheltic Trainers aren’t used efficiently by this company and are often pawned off to do part-time work at a high school without getting any inside clinical experience. Being I couldn’t support myself on part-time work, I luckily came across a position in a chiropractic, physical therapy and massage therapy clinic. I learned a lot about the neck and back, which are on a whole different level compared to any other musculoskeletal region. I also learned about taking x-rays. But, my skills were limited being the clinic was focused more on # of patients they can get in a day vs quality of care. I stayed there for a year, during which near the end, I wanted to return to school. I thought about going to grad school and be a grad assistant working with some teams.

Last summer, I started grad school in a sports medicine program. I had a couple of grad level courses during the summer, one being Biomechanics. We worked with our assistantship in the summer, but the hrs were not too high since most of the student-athletes are home. So, while taking these courses, I thought about how I wanted to take Biology again (It wasn’t a requirment of the grad program) It had been nearly 8 yrs since the first time I took it©. I never realized how the curriculum had changed over that time period. I also had a really tough, but intelligent professor who made you work your butt off if you wanted to do well. So I did and made an A. She really pushed me to my true potential, making me realize what I am capable of. In the fall, as part of the grad program, we were to take cadaver anatomy and orthopedic rehab. ‘How cool. Cadaver Anatomy,’ I thought. Crappy thing was we didn’t have access to a cadaver until midway through the semester, and we only got to see it one day a week for 1 hr. Still made a B. The ortho rehab class, however, didn’t go so well. All 8 of us first year students were put on academic probation for the semester because of that class(Teacher, maybe?) I also registered for Inorganic Chem II. Mistake. I luckily didn’t let my overachieving self get the best of me this time, and dropped it within the first 2 wks. I was working 60hrs/wk 6-7 days a week during the fall, responsible for helping cover football and tennis with practice, games, rehab, referral to team physician and others, etc. I enjoyed taking care of the kids(I can call them kids now being I’m 26 and they are 18-22). However, there were other things that I wasn’t particularly interested in, one being standing at practices for 2hrs+ keeping an eye out for injuries and such, a lot of times which the head or assistant trainer would attend to. Setting up water for the practices and games and taping a lot wasn’t particularly stimulating to the mind either. What I enjoyed most is seeing my kids(or others if needed to) and listening to their problem, evaluating to find out what that problem is and provide a way to resolve that problem so they can get better. I really enjoyed sitting in with the team doc and orthopods while discussing with the athlete their concerns as well as picking up x-rays of random athletes in the doc office and looking at them to figure out what is wrong. My skills were limited because the scope of my practice is limiting. We eval the kids and can do some treating, but they end up seeing the physician anyway and everything else happens on that end. I wanted to have a broader, more in-depth scope of knowledge and skill, and thus be able to do to more to provide care for people other than just 18-22 y/o. That being said, I left the assistantship and program so I can do what I need to do to get in med school. I got depressed at times and looking back, it was because I was no longer happy putting all that time into something I didn’t enjoy. My boss there was very supportive and said if there was anything that he could do to help me, be certain to let him know.

So, my current situation is I have to make up for those first two of six in UG that didn’t go well as well as finish my Masters in something. First 2 yrs GPA-2.34, last 4 yrs at transfer school 3.43, most of which came through a structured, intense academic program. I haven’t quite tallied my BCPM yet, but it’s not great. Being I’ve for the most part not had any science in several years, I’m going to retake a few: Bio I and PH I, as well as finish out the Chemistrys, take PH II and probably do Molecular cell. I’ll have those finished by Spring or Summer '08, and then enroll for a Masters in Biology to 1) bring up the BCPM 2) take upper level sciences to show I can compete at an advanced level of study and 3) to allow time to do my own or assist with a professor in doing research since I lack this EC. Should take no more than 2 yrs to finish, so probably spring 2010 at the latest. I’ve applied for a job at a university hospital’s OP clinic for a position in the cath lab and, based on my interview and feedback, it looks like I might be getting it. They are very understanding and supportive of those furthering their education, so when it comes time that my courseload in the MS is heavy, I’ll go part-time or transfer to a weekend position at the hospital by the med school. I have my eye on that particular school because I know of the wonderful education they provide as well as great placement for residencies, something very important to me because I’ve considered cardiology as well as surgery. I love hands-on application but love even more understanding the pathophysiological responses of the body. I pray that I’m given an opportunity, whether at this school or another good allopathic school, to get in and show what an outstanding contribution to medicine I will become.

• southpawslugger Said:

So, my current situation is I have to make up for those first two of six in UG that didn't go well as well as finish my Masters in something. First 2 yrs GPA-2.34, last 4 yrs at transfer school 3.43, most of which came through a structured, intense academic program. I haven't quite tallied my BCPM yet, but it's not great. Being I've for the most part not had any science in several years, I'm going to retake a few: Bio I and PH I, as well as finish out the Chemistrys, take PH II and probably do Molecular cell. I'll have those finished by Spring or Summer '08, and then enroll for a Masters in Biology to 1) bring up the BCPM 2) take upper level sciences to show I can compete at an advanced level of study and 3) to allow time to do my own or assist with a professor in doing research since I lack this EC. Should take no more than 2 yrs to finish, so probably spring 2010 at the latest. I've applied for a job at a university hospital's OP clinic for a position in the cath lab and, based on my interview and feedback, it looks like I might be getting it. They are very understanding and supportive of those furthering their education, so when it comes time that my courseload in the MS is heavy, I'll go part-time or transfer to a weekend position at the hospital by the med school. I have my eye on that particular school because I know of the wonderful education they provide as well as great placement for residencies, something very important to me because I've considered cardiology as well as surgery. I love hands-on application but love even more understanding the pathophysiological responses of the body. I pray that I'm given an opportunity, whether at this school or another good allopathic school, to get in and show what an outstanding contribution to medicine I will become.

Ok my thoughts, First off you do have a good reason you did poorly the first go around and ADD COMs will see that and some of them are forgiving when it comes to real problems to overcome.

You did that. Going back to school and retaking those lower level courses is not always the best thing to do, going to a Masters and taking upper level science and doing really well will do more since your undergrad GPA around 3.4? is fine I think and if you can get a 3.5 or better in a POST BAC ( thats what you should do ) then I think your on your way.

I would consider applying to no less then 10 schools when the time comes also.

Good Luck.