My Situations and Questions

Hi,

My name is Krzyboodah. I’m currently an undergraduate Senior at Cal Berkeley.

I’m at this site because I’m not completely sure of what I want to do with my life and want to get some advice about doing medical school later (i.e. starting post-bacc premed studies 5 years from now).

In my undergrad career I haven’t taken most of the premed prereqs. So far I’ve only taken Biology 1b (general bio, no chemistry base), Chem 1A (Inorganic), Chem 3A (First Sem. Organic), and Math 16A (First Sem. Calc.). I’m a Poli Sci Major and I really don’t intend to take any premed classes for the rest of my undergrad career as I want to feel out other careers first.

The issue is that I took Chem 3A and Bio 1B Pass/NoPass, which I know is a big no-no. But I did that because I didn’t know if I really wanted to commit to it… and in a sense I still don’t. Worse still, I got an NP in Chem 3A. (and a P in Bio 1B).

Will that P/NP in Chem 3A and Bio 1B affect my AMCAS GPA? I, being the nerd that I am, read the AMCAS pdf and it said it would go into “supplementary hours” and not recorded in the BCPM, but I’m not sure.

Furthermore, if I do post-bacc studies and (projecting) I get straight A’s in the courses I P/NP’d does it even matter? Do I just need to explain how I changed and am more committed at that point in my life?

Thanks

Krzyboodah

• krzyboodah Said:
Hi,

Furthermore, if I do post-bacc studies and (projecting) I get straight A's in the courses I P/NP'd does it even matter? Do I just need to explain how I changed and am more committed at that point in my life?

yes, it matters. Every course you take is scrutinized. And yes, your explanation of how you changed will be important and well received. Lots of people have that.

I would just advise you to consider yourself a medical school applicant from here on out, even if you are not sure you want a medical career yet. You should strive to get top grades, perhaps accumulate a little volunteer experience in hospitals, get to know a couple of physicians, and basically lay the groundwork. Every misstep, every low grade you get from now on will be something you would have to work to make up for later on and you'll be looking back and kicking yourself, as many of us have. That said, enjoy your education and good luck exploring the myriad career possibilities that are open to you!

As a poli sci major, you should know a thing or two about ‘spin’…

I think, five years from now, you could genuinely point to those P/NP science courses as evidence of your interest in the sciences even though it had nothing to do with your major at the time. “Now I am returning to my true passion, spin spin spin blah blah blah.” An easy, positive spin.

For now, just do everything in your power to keep that GPA as high as possible. You can fill in all the rest of the requirements later if you choose to pursue medicine.