My Undergrad Diary--1st step to reaching my goal to be a Dr.

Hello all,

My intro

As funky jazz plays in the background, I anxiously begin this electronic journal of my ups and downs as a simple girl with complex dreams. The idea to post here came to me after reading various diaries on this site that—that so deeply encourage me. I recently have come to question my ability to become a dr. and through this site have found there are so many of us. However, I know there is only one of me. Me with my unique thoughts, experiences, feeling etc. See combined they are unique, but alone my thoughts, experiences and feelings, I believe, are common. So I chose to write for self-healing, expression and hopefully to encourage others as they have encouraged me. (Bear with me if my first entries seem confusing, I figure I will slowly piece things together).

Tonight is January 13, 2009:

I am reading the rest of my 1st chapter of a text titled Development of Children. This book is for a required class for my B.A. in Psychology at the University of California Davis. This is my second official quarter at Davis and so far I am excited, yet concerned with my high ambitions and procrastinating ways. This is a fresh quarter and I am taking Developmental Psych, Sensation and Perception, Cognitive Psych and most excitingly—Starting a research project with a faculty mentor.

Yes, Davis has really amazing opportunities, like this one, where I get to research whatever I want with whomever I’d like as a mentor! I am very excited about this. The woman I chose is an amazing activist. That is the reason why I want to be a doctor—to become an activist…

It is getting late and I have class tomorrow at 10am. Good night.

Welcome, your gonna love this community!!

Today is Friday Jan 16th 2009

After speaking with a classmate, I found out about the “post bac.” This came as a relief to me because I have yet to complete the science requirements. I have been struggling for some time with the idea of taking all these courses at a community college after I complete my Bachelors.

Then I hear there are programs that are dedicated to this. The problem, I hear, is that these programs are competitive and seem to be expensive. Is it that different from community college Bio, Chem, Physics? I am stuck…

Then a doctor suggested I apply to a master’s program to get a Master’s in Public Health…

-Does this help me attain my goal to become a doctor?

-Will this program suffice the science required for the MCAT?

Lastly, I met a person that says they will put me in touch with a person in admissions at the medical school at Davis. This person suggests I complete all of my science while working on my Bachelor’s. This would then allow me the opportunity to stay in the area and get help from the person at admissions.

Aside from all of this, I am struggling with the idea that I may not be able to pass these classes the first time around. Learning new Science and Math have been very difficult for me in the past.

I don’t have much time to think because time to apply to the Post Bac and MPH is now—that is if I want to attend this coming fall.

Choices…

Great diary. Keep up the great work!

• jakkic Said:
Then a doctor suggested I apply to a master’s program to get a Master’s in Public Health…

-Does this help me attain my goal to become a doctor?

-Will this program suffice the science required for the MCAT?

Probably not and no, in answer to your questions. A MPH degree will most likely include no hard science classes. You may have the option to take some graduate level hard science courses, but these will not be adequate preparation for the MCAT nor will they suffice for fulfilling any pre-req requirements the medical schools have. A MPH may certainly be useful at some point in your career, but it's not going to be that helpful in getting into medical school, especially if you don't have decent science grades and a good MCAT score. (FWIW, I am a dual degree MPH/MD student who took the MPH coursework last year.)

• In reply to:
Aside from all of this, I am struggling with the idea that I may not be able to pass these classes the first time around. Learning new Science and Math have been very difficult for me in the past.

Poor grades in science classes (especially as a post-bacc) will make it very difficult to get a med school acceptance. Not only do you need to not fail these classes the first time around, you need to do well in them the FIRST go around. The average science GPA for matriculating med students is somewhere around a 3.4 - higher for some schools. You need mostly A's to be a competitive applicant.

Welcome to OPM and good luck.

Where are your new entries to your diary? Come on, keep us posted…