Navy Helo Pilot to Premed

Hello!

I am currently active duty in the Navy as a helicopter pilot. I went to my undergrad as a premed student on a ROTC scholarship, as my recruiter told me I would be able to pick up a spot to go to medical school for the Navy after my undergrad. I was informed this wouldn’t happen by my advisors in ROTC in my sophomore year, so I reluctantly dropped premed to try and find a new dream. (No one did end up getting a spot my graduating year, so unfortunately they were right.) I ended up applying for an aviation spot, got selected for pilot, made it through flight school and got my first choice of helicopters (choosing them for MEDEVAC/humanitarian aid/disaster relief opportunities.)

I’m coming up on the end of my minimum service requirement for the Navy and want to get back to my original dream of becoming a physician. It’s something that has constantly been on my mind and in my heart - so now is the time. (You know it’s right when you’re flying the helo and would prefer to be in the back helping the patient!) I have enrolled in a post-bacc premed certificate program and intend on taking 30-40 credits in the next 2.5 years both to refresh knowledge (I am 6 years post-undergrad) and hopefully boost my GPA. I’m doing this part-time as I’m still active duty. I do not have any clinical experience as of yet (other than flying medical evacuations and leading COVID measures at my workplace, neither of which are really clinical) nor research experience, so I am attempting to get experience in both of these areas as soon as possible (some hold-ups due to COVID.) Some stats on my undergrad: 2.9 science GPA, 3.34 cumulative, BA in Biology, I’m hoping to get that up to a 3.6 cumulative and 3.3-3.4 science GPA by the end of my post-bacc.

Is there anything I’m missing? A bit overwhelmed trying to pick up where I left off and hoping my undergrad grades don’t hurt me too much if I can prove my capabilities in my post-bacc. Thanks for any help!!

Awesome, I am also former military (Army grunt). Just starting out on the premed process as well. Feel free to reach out if you need anything.
Tyler
samanietyler@yahoo.com

1 Like

Mitch, That’s wonderful to hear. I’m going to prioritize then volunteering and shadowing as soon as COVID allows. Thank you for taking the time to respond and link your article - they were both insightful and encouraging!

When I was in the Navy on a carrier the Flight Surgeon was a former Navy Nuke Submariner who then went to Med School.