Need Advice from Ohio State University Pre-Med/Medical Students

Wow, I can’t describe how refreshing and reassuring it is to find a forum like this. It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one out there with deep aspirations of becoming a physician even though my background is non-traditional.

I graduated from The Ohio State University back in 2004. Having earned my degree in Management Information Systems, I set out to apply my abilities in consulting and problem solving to help businesses and fix complex problems with the use of technology. My career since then has revolved around selling software solutions, first for IBM and now for a smaller company that develops pharmaceutical software. Needless to say, working in consultative sales has been very unfulfilling.

My new found desire to enter into the field of medicine is inspired by several different factors and one profound moment that occurred in my life this year.

Several weeks ago a friend and I were working out at a park and my friend began suffering severe head pain. After a trip to the hospital via EMT, 3 doses of dilaudid, a CT scan, and one spinal tap later; he was cleared and sent home free of any internal head bleeds. Something clicked inside my head after witnessing this and all of a sudden a million thoughts and questions went through my head. How does the spinal tap work? What did the CT scan look like and how do you detect aneurisms? How much dilaudid should my friend be receiving based on his size? What exactly was wrong with him? What could I have done to help him?

After doing some soul searching, I began to reflect on my life and what it is that I want to accomplish. Knowledge became reprioritized; my desire to want to help people became refocused in a different capacity. Sure, using software to help someone save money and expedite day to day operations is great but am I really making a difference? I’ve always been a believer that people of intelligence are somewhat obligated to help others and make this world a better place to live in. We are facing some serious problems these days and I feel obligated to contribute. With that being said, I am going to start my path into medicine. Not because I want to, but because I have to.

My roadmap over the next 2-3 years is to take my science pre-reqs, prepare for the MCAT, and develop a solid body of volunteer work. I haven’t determined which specialty I would be most passionate about but I know a lot of that formulates in medical school.

It would be great to one day be accepted into Ohio State’s Medical School but I’m realistic about my chances and since my undergraduate work wasn’t outstanding (3.0 GPA). My goal right now is to ace my pre-reqs (I’m starting from the bottom) and begin shadowing/volunteering opportunities. I do have a few questions to ask for anyone who is willing to offer advice.

My plan right now is to take 2 classes a quarter at Columbus State (a CC) since the courses transfer directly over to OSU. I’m taking my pre-reqs at Columbus State due to financial reasons and flexibility with my current work. I’ve just recently completed paying off my student loans from my first undergrad experience. Here is question number one.

Should I be taking my courses at Ohio State instead? I’ve been told that it’s always viewed in more positive light to attend a 4 year university instead of a CC. However, Columbus State is practically a prep-school for students looking to graduate from OSU. They have a deep partnership.

My second question is related to the course work itself. Do I have to take all 5 O-Chem courses? I believe Ohio State requires a full year of O-Chem with lab. Does this mean that I can take 2 courses from the 251-253 series and then 1 lab course from the 254-255 series?

My last question is more of a request. I’d love to begin networking with as many M.D.s, pre-med, and medical students as possible to help me on this long path. The ultimate goal is to get into a medical school and then complete my education to become a doctor. Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated. The road I’m staring down now is long and rough but in the words of Woody Hayes … anything easy ain’t worth a damn.

How Firm Thy Friendhsip!

Hi and welcome to the board!

• HugzMonster Said:

Should I be taking my courses at Ohio State instead? I’ve been told that it’s always viewed in more positive light to attend a 4 year university instead of a CC. However, Columbus State is practically a prep-school for students looking to graduate from OSU. They have a deep partnership.

First, call the admissions office and ask them. They are generally very helpful and friendly. OSU does accept CC coursework, however, the stance I have heard from the admissions office is that if you take the pre-reqs at a CC, you should take some upper level courses at a four year. Ask them specifically about CS, as I think a few of the pre-req courses at CS are taught by OSU faculty.

Now, from my perspective as an OSU medical student with a less than stellar GPA: If you really want to go to Ohio State, I think you should forgo Columbus State and take your classes at OSU. As a top 25 medical school, Ohio State is becoming more and more competitive every year. This year's Med 1 class has an overall GPA of 3.74, a science GPA of 3.70, and a average MCAT of 33. This is not to say that you have no chance at Ohio State with an original ugrad GPA of 3.00 - mine was lower than that, and I know a few other non-trads with less than stellar original GPAs. But, you need to do everything you can from here on out to make yourself as attractive a candidate as possible. IMO (take it for what's its worth), that means taking the pre-reqs at Ohio State and doing exceptionally well in them. Nearly 20% of the class is composed of Ohio State graduates, and there are probably several more who took their pre-req coursework at Ohio State with a degree from another college. I think that having great grades and letters of recommendations from professors and courses that are well known to OSU's adcom is helpful.

A slighly less expensive option is to take the pre-reqs at a branch campus (Mansfield, Newark, etc). These courses show up on your transcript as if you took them at main campus, and are supposed to follow the same curriculum and use the same books as the main campus courses. The advantage to the branch campus is that class sizes are limited. At Mansfield, for example, Chem 121 is limited to 64 students and you have the opportunity for significant one on one time with the professor. All of my chemistry and biology labs at Mansfield were run by our lecture professor. At main campus, the lecture section is over 300, and you have less contact opportunites with the professor because recitations and labs are taught by TAs.

• In reply to:
My second question is related to the course work itself. Do I have to take all 5 O-Chem courses? I believe Ohio State requires a full year of O-Chem with lab. Does this mean that I can take 2 courses from the 251-253 series and then 1 lab course from the 254-255 series?

Again, if your goal is Ohio State, you should take all five courses. The full year of organic with lab is considered to be the 251 - 253 lecture series and the 254-255 lab. Unlike gen chem (Chem 121, 122 and 123), which are five credit hour courses with combined lecture and lab, the ochem lectures are only 3 credit hours and the labs 2 hours. Most people take the labs concurrently with the lectures, although you don't have to. I'm pretty sure that if you don't take all five courses, Ohio State will say that you haven't completed the full year with lab.

Oddly enough, the intro bio series (Bio 113 and 114) is considered to be a full year of bio with lab, even though it's only two quarters.

Another Ochem option is Capital's Summer Science Institute. They do the entire year of biology, gen chem, and organic chem with labs in an 8 week summer session. Expensive, and VERY intense, but it is an option that I and several other OSU med students took.

• In reply to:
My last question is more of a request. I’d love to begin networking with as many M.D.s, pre-med, and medical students as possible to help me on this long path. The ultimate goal is to get into a medical school and then complete my education to become a doctor. Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated. The road I’m staring down now is long and rough but in the words of Woody Hayes … anything easy ain’t worth a damn.

Feel free to drop myself or Pi1304 a pm. We are both at Ohio State - I'm a Med 3 (took last year off to do an MPH) and Pi is a new Med 1. I'll get back to you as soon as clinical rotations allow.

Good luck!

congrats! you seem like you have a passion. beware of come chem courses. some are simply designed for general or even nursing degrees, and will NOT apply to pre-reqs. also 1 year EACH of gen/org with labs usually will suffice. good luck!!