need advice

I am going to be starting a post bacc premedical program at Washington University, I have about a 3.25 from undergrad. I will be taking all prerequisites at WashU and will APPLY myself and get at least a 3.6, which will bring my GPA to about a 3.4, will this be competitive for Allopathic schools assuming I get a 30-32 on the MCAT?

Hi there,
Shoot for a 4.0. You want to be as high as possible with your GPA. Take your time and do high quality coursework for the higher GPA and so that you can ROCK the MCAT. A competitive MCAT is going to do wonders but shoot for as high as possible. A 4.0 in your post-bacc is not that much out of the question if you take your time. A 3.4 will be good enough for some allopathic schools and it might keep you out of others. The question of whether 3.4 is enough really depends on what the competition is like in the year that you apply. Do your best, shoot for the stars and put together a complete competitive package.
Good luck and study hard and wise!
Natalie

Hi,
3.4 is probaly right around the cut off for alot of MD schools. They do accept people with less, but the overall application has to be good. I agree, try to get your best GPA with the classes.
But wait, if you have a degree, than your gpa is set at 3.25 and then you will get a grad GPA for anything taken after your degree. At least that is how I think it works. Perhaps someone could correct me if I am wrong, but they don’t combine the undergrad with the grad to get an overall GPA do they? My friend had 2 GPAs, one for undergrad and one for her post-grad work.
I would say it is a bit premature to decide if you have a good chance of getting in until youknow what your MCAT is going to be. That is a huge part of your application. Are you usually a great standarized test taker? If so, then you may be correct thinking that you can get over 30.

Quote:

…if you have a degree, than your gpa is set at 3.25 and then you will get a grad GPA for anything taken after your degree. At least that is how I think it works. Perhaps someone could correct me if I am wrong, but they don’t combine the undergrad with the grad to get an overall GPA do they? My friend had 2 GPAs, one for undergrad and one for her post-grad work…

The way the AMCAS application is set up, there are gpa totals for ugrad and also for post/bacc work. These gpas are combined into an “overall” undergrad gpa. All graduate work is shown separately.
Cheers,
Judy