Need Advice

All,

I am in desperate need of advice about whether or not the proceed with a post bac program. A little bit of background, I am a 27 year old female and I’m approaching four years at a top consulting firm. I come from a medical-oriented family where my father and brother are ED doctors, mother was a nurse, and sister-in-law is a PA. I entered college as a pre-med major, but after a fatal car accident that took my mother’s life, I decided to pursue her dream for me to become involved in international/government work, and pursued international business/finance and earned my MBA. (It’s important to note I graduated with a 3.9 GPA, my standardized test taking skills have not been the best).

Basically, although I’m succeeding and receiving high rating at my job, I find myself questioning my current business path, as I cannot see myself pursuing the partner track any longer, and cannot stand sitting behind a desk and developing macros. Since my start in 2008, I’ve applied to programs, and got into UVA and Penn State post bac programs. Unfortunately, I deferred and eventually declined UVA in 2010. After declining, I kept thinking about this decision and reapplied, to Penn State. Now I’m faced with the decision to leave my job in a month, or continue on.

My brother, who also, switched jobs from a pilot to a doctor, and is now in his second year residency, does not support my decision to pursue medicine because he claims I will put my whole life on hold, and your career is NOT your identity. I see this aspect especially since I’m a single 27 year old, and definitely want to have kids/family sometime in my life. My father on the other hand, whohas 25+ years experience supports this decision and claims he will help me any way possible. Basically, I realize this is my decision, but I wanted to reach out to this forum to gather a non-bias view outside my family. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

I don’t know what to tell you on this one. If it is what you really want to do then you should do it. Good luck on whatever you decide!

I know many professors, mentors and classmates who are having children in medical school, and residency. It can be done. However, you will find you have less sleep and more gray hair.

If going into Medicine is what you really need to do, you will find a way.