Need Encouragement

Hi Everyone,

Well, I’ve been at this for 6 months and am feeling tired and lonely.

I’ve been working full time, retaking one class per semester to replace some C’s I got in college, volunteering, shadowing, and studying MCAT.

My wife is a great support, but I don’t have anyone in my circle that can relate to what I’m going through; the stress, hardwork, and juggling the different aspect of applying to schools.

So I’m just looking for some encouragement, words of wisdom, a verbal arm around the shoulder.

Anything is welcomed. Thanks.

• MattJackson Said:
Hi Everyone,

Well, I've been at this for 6 months and am feeling tired and lonely.

I've been working full time, retaking one class per semester to replace some C's I got in college, volunteering, shadowing, and studying MCAT.

My wife is a great support, but I don't have anyone in my circle that can relate to what I'm going through; the stress, hardwork, and juggling the different aspect of applying to schools.

So I'm just looking for some encouragement, words of wisdom, a verbal arm around the shoulder.

Anything is welcomed. Thanks.

You are not alone on this site. Over 10,000 members have registered since this website has begun over a decade ago. Far more are out there (I call them the lurkers) who read these posting. OldPreMeds.org is now receiving just under 17,000 unique visitors a month and is getting over a one million search engine hits a month.

This reflects what is happening in medical education. Over 100 post-bacc programs exist some of which are specifically designated as for "career changers." About 5% of the last entering class into allopathic medical school was over 30, that is approximately slightly less than 1,000 students. That averages to at least between 5 and 10 students in every american MD school class as an OldPreMed. In 2010 the oldest matriculating osteopathic medical student was 56 years old. I'm beginning to sound like a cross between Knute Rockne and Vince Lombardi.

Yet for all that you can feel isolated in your class, your studies, your life. We all do. This is why, even though you have the forums, the friends, the support, the place to vent and ask for help here on OPM, it is important to find someone in your class, or school, or online who you can partner with. It doesn't need to be an OldPreMed, but some who can help you when you feel like your spinning your wheels. And someone you can do the same for. Maybe is a student in class, maybe it can be a buddy in the forums. Personally, I found tutoring a younger student forced me to learn the material better.

We all take similar classes, have similar issues, and can at least online, hear you vent, help you out, and try to keep you supported on this marathon

Hi Matt,

I know how you feel. Like you, I have a spouse who is very encouraging and supportive, but he is at a very different place in life – in a full-time job – than I am (full time at school). Plus, he’s not exactly a science person, so all my talk of bio and chem and physics doesn’t really resonate with him.

I’ve found that it REALLY helps to have at least a couple people in my classes who I can talk to, whether it’s about homework, med school aspirations, or just life in general. Granted, I’m in a formal post-bac program so I’m around people who are in a similar position as myself (older and more mature – at least, some of them are more mature!). That said, I’ve also bonded with some undergrads who are pretty amazing people. I don’t know what your school environment is like, but it might help to try to befriend someone in the course you’re taking now, whatever that is. Just a suggestion.

Like gonnif said, this journey is, almost by definition, a lonely one in many ways. It’s kind of up to us to find people with whom we can share our struggles.

Best wishes to you.

Matt,

I am right there with you brother!

Though I am at the end of the pre-req journey (will be applying in June), I have often felt isolated throughout the process. It’s difficult being in a classroom with people who are in completely different places in their lives.

I don’t have too much wisdom to offer. As Richard said, there are so many of us that are on the path with you.

One of my favorite quotes is from the movie “The Edge” with Anthony Hopkins…“What one man can do, another can do.”

Kill the bear.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

• MattJackson Said:
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

don't hesitate to encourage others