Need Help

I am 38 and have been a Critical Care Nurse for past 10 years. I had thought about med school in the past but thought I was to old, didn’t want to burden my family etc… I recently spent 7 months in Iraq deployed with a Navy surgical trauma unit and I left there with a very different outlook on life and my career.

Undergrad GPA: 3.2 (1997)

Grad GPA: 3.6

I have enrolled for pre-med courses at local university but pre-professional advisor seemed surprised that someone “your age” would want to go to Med School…

Partner is supportive but my family/friends think I have lost my mind and should “just” go to Nurse practitioner or Nurse Anesthesia school.

please tell me I am not crazy, selfish, and there is room for and old woman like me in medicine.

not giving up…

thanks,

Melissa

Melissa,

You’re not crazy or selfish, and there is room for an old woman like you in medicine!!! Do it!

I’m way older than you-- I’ll be 47 when I start med school at the end of July. Yes, I’ve had my share of snide remarks and rolling eyes behind my back, but that’s just part being a trailblazer! Attempting to follow your dreams raises more than a few eyebrows, but what I’ve found is that it triggers something else in many more people. I’ve had so many folks, after hearing of my journey, say things like “you know, I’ve always wanted to be a … Maybe I can do this, if you can do that”. And read some of the great stories on this site. I found inspiration here. In fact, the first time I came to this site, I sobbed, because I saw evidence that others have done exactly what I wanted to do. We’re right in there with you.

Melissa, no, you’re not crazy. I started pre-med at age 41 after rejecting nurse practitioner as a career path; graduated from med school at 48 and am happily practicing family medicine at age 52. I was fortunate to have a cheering section that helped me to believe I could do it. And interestingly, once IN medical school, I didn’t get any negative comments at all – to a man or woman, my classmates, residents and attending physicians all said some version of “Attagirl.”

Easy? No. Possible? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely!

And thanks for your service: I’ve got a kid in the Navy and it makes me feel good to know that smart folks like you have got his back, so to speak.

Mary

thanks for the support, it makes all the difference…

melissa

• mdmull Said:
I am 38 and have been a Critical Care Nurse for past 10 years. I had thought about med school in the past but thought I was to old, didn't want to burden my family etc... I recently spent 7 months in Iraq deployed with a Navy surgical trauma unit and I left there with a very different outlook on life and my career.

Undergrad GPA: 3.2 (1997)

Grad GPA: 3.6

I have enrolled for pre-med courses at local university but pre-professional advisor seemed surprised that someone "your age" would want to go to Med School...

Partner is supportive but my family/friends think I have lost my mind and should "just" go to Nurse practitioner or Nurse Anesthesia school.

please tell me I am not crazy, selfish, and there is room for and old woman like me in medicine.

not giving up...

thanks,

Melissa

Started medschool at 41 RN for 17 years then,

Crazy? Only if I would not of done this! LOL

Why do something you do not want to do because others think "Its good for you" LOL What is right and good for you is best decided by Uh YOU!

The people who really care about you will be there and the only approval you need is the one you give yourself.

I worry more about what I think I can do and accomplish more then the approval of others.

So I'm saying if this is what you want then go for it! I did LOL

I don’t think you’re crazy or selfish. You’re four years younger than I am and have significant health care experience. My background is in telecommunications and I’ll be 45 when I start med school. The only health care experience I have is listening to my wife (an ICU nurse). Well, that and being a patient. If you’re crazy then I’m certifiably insane!

I know this sounds cliché, but you’re never to old to chase your dreams!

As far as being selfish, I worry about that too, so I cannot help you here. I know that I don’t devote as much time to my children as I should and I worry that they will become resentful over it. I know I did when I was growing up. My dad spent my entire childhood going to college while he was in the Air Force. He finally graduated with a PhD in Aeronautical Engineering with a MS in Education. While I was resentful as a child, as an adult I am very proud of his accomplishments.

I often pray that my children will not be resentful, but if they are, that they will one day be proud of my own accomplishments.

Nooooo, don’t listen to anyone but to yourself. Once I’ve made up my mind to go back and study - yes, I quit my wonderful job and my great salary -I could never be happier. It is a long run but it’s worth it. Don’t let the age be an issue. Don’t stop living and achieving your dreams!

Hello Mary, I loved your answer and your tagline! Hahahha! I can’t wait to get there!!! Best, Flavia.