Need some advice---FAST

Hey all,

I’ve just been offered an extra MONTH to study for boards. My 3rd year opsched would be adjusted to take my elective month and move it right at the start…so…here’s my thoughts…

Pros: An extra MONTH!!! Can make sure I get good sleep, shoreup any areas of difficulty (like Heme, GI, Neuro 2) and spend more time w/bugs and drugs (weak in Pharm right now).

Cons: An extra MONTH!!! Burnout factor, a 'I got plenty of time’factor, plus messing w/3rd year rotations.

Other: Had family plans for late June vacation (until I found out we’re back permanently 21 June until rotations start) may allow some time for a few days there. The person who offered said I could probably keep a 9-6 schedule with some review of the days work in the evening

and see the fam on weekends. That was the recommended sched whether or not I did the extra month thing.

So — what’s your take?

Dave, why were you offered the extra month? Do you feel your prep is not going well at this point? Have you taken practice tests? Do you feel you’re weaker than your classmates? I need to know more here.

And even then I probably shouldn’t advise you because I’m not taking my boards until June 11.

Prep at this point? What prep other than passing my classes…

I had decided to start at the end of classes — May 02 and do a Kaplan review course (paid for by the school) and self study for the 6 weeks up to June 14…

This was offered as I had to repeat 1st year. My overall average is 79.4 (at TCOM – supposedly at least half an SD above all other osteopathic schools on COMLEX – in other words, they push us hard — and that’s ok). I was told that it was just being offered, not recommended for or against. I have areas where I know I’m weak (Heme, GI, Neuro) as reflected both in grades and Kaplan QBank stats.

So – I really haven’t made up a plan yet nor have I really started studying for it as we’re still in classes.

I’m the kind of person who will put things off with the belief that I can pull it out of the bag and sometimes that gets me burnt. Procrastination and overestimation of abilities is always a bad combination. However, when I have the time to lock things in and put them together — and am focused and paying attention — I rarely have to be told something twice. That only works if I can see where it fits into the big picture — like histomorph — who the hell cares about lipid laden macrophages and how they stain — until I learned how to recall information based on histomorph…used it as a different ‘label’ in my ‘file folder’ of those categories of diseases…

I haven’t much started studying yet, either, except for a small USMLE review group I’m in where we make a first pass through First Aid during this spring semester. I wouldn’t say I’m memorizing it, but I’m at least skimming really well.

I would not take an extra month because I’m sure I’d piss it away in dribs and drabs of procrastination. But you are you. All I can suggest is that you talk to academic advisors at your school who know you and your performance much better than I do and get their input on this.

Unless you are absolutely positive that you will make the most of the extra time, I don’t think I’d do it. I’ve heard over and over again from people that six weeks tends to be the wall - they see very little gain by studying longer than that. There is a certain point where you hit a wall - plus, you start to forget the things that you studied in the first portion of your regimen and end up going back and studying them again. Plus, I think people tend to be more focused when they give themselves less time, and I feel that the focused nature of a shorter, more intense study plan has definite advantages.

Hey all

Well, the decision has been made…I’m sticking to the original opsched for boards and not taking the extra month…

Talked with the dean and he and I reviewed my scores and pretty much came to the conclusion that while there are no guarantees, if I TCOB (take care of business) I should be ok…

Thanks for the comments…now…does anyone have a study plan that they’d be willing to share? I’ve started outlining some areas that I’m weak in and am thinking about how I’m going to attack those…mainly consists of ‘I’m unsure about this concept’ or ‘I need to review that set of pathology’ type of stuff with the usual ‘There’s HOW much pharm to know!!!’…