Need some advice

Hi everyone!

I’ve been lurking here for a while, but now would like some advice. Before I ask though, I would like to thank everyone on this board; not only have you answered some important questions, you’ve inspired me to consider becoming a doctor even though I’ve already graduated from college with no science.

A bit of background might be helpful. I’m not sure if this is the right path for me, but I love helping people and can endlessly read about different diseases online. My mother is a physician and I always enjoy talking to her about her job.

I remember enjoying Biology in high school, but then having a bad experience with AP Chemistry during my senior year of high school. I never took any science in college, since I allowed that perceived failure in high school to convince me that science (and therefore medicine) was not for me.

I have now graduated and am considering pursuing medicine. One of my roommates is studying to be a Physician’s Assistant and I’ve always been interested in what she’s doing, but too shy to ask her about it.

My plan, as of now is to take General Biology, work part-time (20-25 hrs/wk) and volunteer in a medical setting in the spring. Basically, I want to see what being a doctor is like and if it’s right for me.

However, I’m torn between volunteering at two different places and am wondering which would be better. The first option is to volunteer at a hospital; most of the tasks seem very routine and I’m not sure how much I would interact with the doctors. However, perhaps I would be given more responsibilities if I stayed there longer.

The second option is to volunteer at a clinic that specializes in women’s health. I would be directly interacting with patients by educating them on STIs, birth control methods, and pregnancy. There is a doctor on staff at the clinic, but she is not there often.

So, what do you guys think? Would you possibly take two classes or be safe and only take one and see how it goes? Which volunteer opportunity would you take?

Thank you for any and all help.

I’d take the hospital one as you have the potential to see various physicians at work. As far as the class take one and ease into “science” mode. If you can handle more after the first semester then go for it. The others on OPM are excellent. I too am just a proverbial noob. I’m sure they’ll be in to give you more in-depth advice.

I volunteer at a hospital and I really like it. I am sure I will be making a couple friends over there eventually (Nurses and Physicians). It is discovery time for now.

I cannot compare to the other setting, as I have not been exposed to it.

The clinic sounds like it has more patient contact, so it might be a better bet, but mostly I would ask you, which one excites you more?

I also vote for taking one class first and easing in. It takes a while to get back into student mode.

• samenewme Said:
The clinic sounds like it has more patient contact, so it might be a better bet, but mostly I would ask you, which one excites you more?

I also vote for taking one class first and easing in. It takes a while to get back into student mode.

Well, the clinic excites me more in addition to it being closer, but I'm worried about missing out on crucial experience in a hospital.

I'm actually pretty young - 22 - but I haven't taken science since high school so that's why I was thinking one class over two.

Patient experience is key. Hospitals are nice, but they’re not the holy grail of volunteer experience. Go where your heart lies.