Need some clarification -

So I was talking to a lawyer just shooting the breeze about my med school path. She claimed that her son, who was also a pre-med, was flown out to Duke to interview. In other words, Duke arranged for him to come over and interview at the med school.

Of course I didn’t say anything but I find that rather hard to believe - does any adcom do that - can a candidate be so stellar that the adcom would pay for his/her ticket and hotel to come out and interview there?

And no, he was not a minority applicant, mother was an upper class, caucasian corporate lawyer, partner in the legal firm she had established so she was pulling in the greenbacks hand over fist!

There’s no law against it, I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened from time to time for applicants they really desire. I have friends who have been given transportation and lodging for residency interviews. In this specific case, you might just have one of those proud exaggerating mommas on your hands. I’ve got one of my own down in West Virginia…

I agree - unlikely, but not impossible. Was he applying for a MD/PhD program or medical scientist programs? These are highly competitive programs and schools only have a handful of slots for these, so I could see a school dialing up the recruiting for one of these positions for a highly desirable candidate.

• Emergency! Said:
I agree - unlikely, but not impossible. Was he applying for a MD/PhD program or medical scientist programs? These are highly competitive programs and schools only have a handful of slots for these, so I could see a school dialing up the recruiting for one of these positions for a highly desirable candidate.

I know many years in my original undergraduate days, one of my partners from a research lab was recruited like a star football by several MD/PhD programs in similar manner. But superstars who schools treat like that are few and far between