Need Some Help and Advice

I have to admit, I’d just about given up my dreams of doing this, but then I almost randomly happened across this site, and realized that I wasn’t the only one and that maybe this wasn’t impossible.

Basics out of the way, I will be 31 in about ten days, and I’ve wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember. But I figured given that my collegiate career was somewhat less than stellar, I wouldn’t even have a shot. Now I’m here again, and I’m wondering what’s the best way to make myself look at least competitive. I know that I do have the option of trying for another Bachelors, but since I’d already be looking at four years of med school, I don’t know if I’d want to pile another four on top of it. I’ve thought about boosting my GPA and knocking out some science requirements at our local community college (since I could still work full-time), but I don’t know if that would do any good?

So, am I still a lost cause or is there a good way to do this?

Welcome to the site! If you use the search feature you’ll see the community college issue has been discussed at great length as well as ways to boost GPA! It’s a great function! You can learn alot by reading all the posts. This site is amazing.

And no you’re not a lost cause.

Thanks for the heads up. I can see I have a lot of reading to do.

The minimum requirements for medical school are a bachelor’s degree and the 4 science courses (Chemistry, Biology, Organic Chemistry, and Physics). Most people don’t actually need a second bachelor’s degree. If you have a poor GPA, i.e. under 3.0, you are going to need to do well in your prereqs to bring that up a bit. 4 year uni is preferable to community college. Some people take a few preparatory courses at CC, then move to uni. Best of luck,

Just wanted to add that some schools also require Calculus - not sure what state you’re in or where you’re thinking about med school but all schools in California (except DO) require Calc 1.

I figured Calc was a given, along with all the sciences.

Thanks for the advice.

I’ve actually started application procedures as a non-degree seeking post-bacc candidate at a nearby four year. I was thinking CC at first because that would give me a little more flexibility, but I actually think going into something more structured might be better.

I’m both excited and terrified at the same time. I guess that’s normal.

It’s absolutely normal have some anxiety or some fear…If you didn’t,then I’d be worried.

Just remember, your in this for you, don’t get overwhelmed…It is long, and you will probably feel like quiting at one time or another, you will get there. Keep positive, and know that one day you’ll look back and see how far you have come! Do keep us posted! Ok?

Well, a few speed-bumps so far, because there are a bunch of rather insane prerequisites that the four-year school has, and most of it is stuff I handled through General Ed requirements at my alma mater.

I ended up applying for a second-bacc program, but that can’t happen until spring.

I’ve contacted the individual faculty to see if they will allow me to enroll with my established degree, but I haven’t heard anything back yet.

If I need to do a semester or two for introductory stuff at a CC, would that make me completely uncompetitive?

I think others have managed with a semester or 2 of CC…I believe you have to do what is right for your situation. I don’t think there is a “right” or “wrong” answer. Everyone has to do what fits for them. So just do what is best for you while still being as competitive as you can be…just make sure you make A’s!!!

Thanks for that.

Seriously, this forum is amazing. I don’t know that I’ve ever been among a group of people who are on the same wavelength as I am about so much.

The funny thing about this is, the thing that scares me more is being told that I can’t do it. But nobody’s said that, either here or in my personal life.

I probably really need to order a copy of my official transcript to see what kind of damage I’m going to be trying to overcome, rather than obsessing over the small details.

Sorry, I’m babbling.

No problem. I got a few of my credits at a CC and my pre-med advisor just told me to get the rest of my upper level stuff and all my major science stuff at the university and I’d be fine, I think if you get the majority of it at a university you’re ok.

I’d definitely get a transcript soon and get a plan to see exactly where you stand. I dreaded getting a transcript and looking at my damage. I still shudder when I pull that thing out. If I can do grade replacement I can strut around like a proud peacock but being pre-med doesn’t give us the luxury of doing that…we have to bare our souls and that’s a little harder. Every C, D and gulp even some of us with our F’s have to display those bad boys for everyone to see. Just take a good honest look at it and at what you have to overcome and start from there!!!

I know there are some C’s and D’s, and maybe even an F or two. And the killer, W.

But we’ll find out.