nervous but excited!!!!

I just happened upon this site and love it! I am turning 38 next month and have had med school in the back of my mind since high school. I have a bachelor degree in psychology, a master degree in teaching and a master degree in school counseling. I am currently working as a school counselor. I enjoy my job, but cannot imagine doing this for the rest of my career! I have wanted to go to med school before, but the timing never seemed right… I had young children, my husband was finishing law school, etc.

For some reason this time it seems like the right time! I am so excited but very nervous about my age…

I am meeting with two different medical school admission counselors next week to go over my past transcripts and experience and get an idea from them what I need to take and where I should go from here…

Many of the questions I have are ones that I see on here…do I do my pre-reqs at a CC or a 4-year university? Do most people take loans out for their med school education? Am I too old?

Any thoughts or ideas that you think would be good to ask when I meet with these counselors would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome! Best of wishes on your meeting with the counselors. I hope you update us.

I’m curious, how did you find these medical school admissions counselors?

I went right to the medical schools’ websites and found the names of the admission counselors and emailed them with the request. Every one has said they would be happy to meet with me.

• clongstreet Said:
I just happened upon this site and love it! I am turning 38 next month and have had med school in the back of my mind since high school. I have a bachelor degree in psychology, a master degree in teaching and a master degree in school counseling. I am currently working as a school counselor. I enjoy my job, but cannot imagine doing this for the rest of my career! I have wanted to go to med school before, but the timing never seemed right... I had young children, my husband was finishing law school, etc.

For some reason this time it seems like the right time! I am so excited but very nervous about my age....

I am meeting with two different medical school admission counselors next week to go over my past transcripts and experience and get an idea from them what I need to take and where I should go from here....

Many of the questions I have are ones that I see on here....do I do my pre-reqs at a CC or a 4-year university? Do most people take loans out for their med school education? Am I too old?

Any thoughts or ideas that you think would be good to ask when I meet with these counselors would be greatly appreciated!

It is a great site, isn't it. I've been having some inner conflicts on whether I should consider pursuing this old dream, and I keep coming back to the answer "Yes." I would rather give it my all and work hard and take the chance, than to just make the excuse that I'm too old. I don't want to look back at the end of my life and regret that I didn't even try.

Now in reference to where to take classes...it is usually the concensus to go the university route, especially if you have already a bachelors degree/masters degree, etc. Of course a lot depends on where you live and your own constraints. For example, some students might do their first two years at a CC and then transfer for the bachelors degree...depending on their major, it might be required that all the prereqs need to be completed before you can be admitted to the 4-yr. This is definitely a case for those students in the Florida State College System. Since I have to get my bachelors anyway, I'm working on a BS in Clinical Medical Laboratory Science...ochem is a requirement that I needed to take before I can begin. But this also goes with any student that is looking to go for a biology, chemistry or other science bachelors degree.

As for taking loans, I think it is the rare nontrad that can pay for their education without taking out loans.

I met with the head of admissions two days ago at the medical school I’d like to attend. I have only a few medical schools to choose from in my state. The admissions counselor told me that this particular school (my first choice) considers non-trad applicants very seriously because of all their previous life experience. She also told me to go ahead and take my classes at my local cc. There is a transfer system set up at this school that allows credits from this particular cc to substitute for classes at this university. I planned out all my pre-reqs with her. The majority can be done at this cc. I have a few upper-level classes that I will take through a university. She told me to keep in mind that I could also take any of the classes I need online.

I felt confident after my discussion with her. She offered me the option to continue meeting with her and/or emailing her when I have questions.

I’m very grateful…I might as well get the information straight from the school that I want to attend, right?

That’s great, clongstreet! Just hearing that being a nontrad isn’t an obstacle, but actually a plus is something we all would love to hear.

Clongstreet,

You said that any of the pre-req classes you need could be taken online? I am having trouble figuring out how I will take these undergrad. classes that I need (still lacking org.chem. and physics) while still working full time. Is this what most of you have done?

I have not taken any online courses yet for my prerequisites. I plan to take my physics classes online. I am having a difficult time finding many of the classes I need to take even at a CC or university because I must take them during the evening hours because of work. The online courses will work for a few options, but not for organic chem.

It’s just another option if it works!