neuroanatomy textbooks/resources

anyone have any suggestions for textbooks/resources for neuro?

I just finished my neuro block, and the two textbooks that helped me though it were:
Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases by Blumenfeld
Neurology and Neurosurgery Illustrated by Lindsay and Bone
We were recommended The Human Brain by Nolte, but I thought it sucked. It was helpful for the neuroembryology section (which isn't covered in much depth by either of the other books) but then it collected dust and I found Blumenfeld. I honestly doubt I could have passed neuro without it.
Oh, and I also referred to Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple a couple of times for some hints on some of the stuff that I found more conceptually challenging. But I could have done without it.
Good luck!
Natalie

QUOTE (Couz27 @ Jan 15 2003, 06:59 PM)
I just finished my neuro block, and the two textbooks that helped me though it were:
Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases by Blumenfeld

I'll second this. I'm in the middle of Neuro right now (actually, just a week beyond my midterm and two weeks from my final). The Blumenfeld book is excellent. I'm also using Neuroscience by Purves et. al. The two came bundled in our bookstore. The Purves book comes with an interactive CD-ROM that is fairly useful, as well.
Good luck!
QUOTE (kellykellykellysmith @ Jan 15 2003, 11:04 AM)
anyone have any suggestions for textbooks/resources for neuro?

Hi Kelly,
The best book that I have found for neuroscience is Topical Diagnosis in Neurology by Peter Duus. It is published by Thieme. It give the Anatomy, Physiology, Signs and Symptoms of every neurological problem. The pathways are complete. Also, the Gold Standard CD-ROM called Essentials of Physiology is also great for neuroscience.
Natalie

First, there are some excellent Neuro study aides in the OPM member resources section for you to d/l at your convenience. Go to the home page and look for the link. If you have trouble accessing this area, e-mail the webmaster.
Second, my personal favorites (my BS is in Neuroscience):
Textbooks - Martin's Neuroanatomy Text & Atlas & Snell's Clinical Neuroanatomy for Medical Students
Atlas - Haine's Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structures, Sections & Systems
All are excellent texts!

speaking of texts - I have 1-2 year-old copy of Purve's Neuroscience (I think that's the title) from my ugrad Neurobio & behavior class -
should I
A ) chuck/return/sell/donate this text cuz it isn't useful for med school (and why else would you keep it)
B ) hold on to it for med school (if/when someone accepts me) because I'll like having an extra text
I've already decided to keep Alberts' Molec_Bio_of_Cell , Stryer's Biochemistry, Kuby's Immunology

QUOTE (LisaS @ Jan 18 2003, 08:33 PM)
should I
A ) chuck/return/sell/donate this text cuz it isn't useful for med school (and why else would you keep it)
B ) hold on to it for med school (if/when someone accepts me) because I'll like having an extra text
I've already decided to keep Alberts' Molec_Bio_of_Cell

Even recognizing that much of the info. in a neuro book is outdated as soon as it's printed, I think holding on to the Purves book would be a good idea, at least for your first year neuro course. For much of what you'll be required to know in that course, the content of the Purves book is just fine - and it's actually a pretty well-written textbook. I think it would make an excellent back-up resource if it doesn't wind up being the required text in the course. It was required for me, and ended up being one of only a handfull of books that I've actually purchased so far.
Good call on the Alberts book, too. I really needed it during my Cell Biology/Genetics theme.
QUOTE (OldManDave @ Jan 18 2003, 08:06 PM)
my personal favorites (my BS is in Neuroscience):
Atlas - Haine's Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structures, Sections & Systems

Oh, yeah, Haines! Forgot to mention that. It's a must-have for schematics of pathways and for Weigert sections.