New and Looking for some Guidance

Fist I would like to say hi and this forum is quite impressive. It’s also reassuring to see others in the same situation. Now, Down to brass tacks…
I recently graduated with a degree in Information Systems (Business). After working in the industry for a few years I have become aware this is certainly not what I want to do. I made the decision to return to school and pursue Medicine. My undergrad GPA was low by med school standards and I also need to take required science courses. Does anyone have any recommendations for doing this. I was planning on taking additional science courses at my local Cal State School, perhaps even attempting to attain a second BS. I suppose I am looking for some reassurance that I am going about this the right way, and certainly looking for suggestions if there is a better way of going about it.
Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,
Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you have a good start on getting what you need to apply for medical school. Some things to keep in mind:
1. This process is like running a marathon. Give yourself plenty of time to complete your required classes and do well even if that means delaying your application a year. You cannot afford to have any grades that are less than B+ and you need to have some A grades sprinkled in the mix.
2.Don’t let anyone psyche you out of your dream. Do some baby steps toward medicine everyday and keep a log. Put rumors and negativity aside. If I can get into and through medical school, anyone can do this. I am far from anything special but I do have a very strong work ethic and sense of purpose. In then end, these qualities served me better than having a high IQ.
3.Network early. OPM is a good place to start as our resources continue to grow on a daily basis. Post from time to time and let us know how you are doing in your quest.
4. Do not fear the MCAT. This is a test of test-taking skills that can be taught and developed with practice. Sure, you will hear the exam referred to as the “Beast” but ABSITE and USMLE were are much harder so start getting used to learning to take standardized tests well. Don’t talk yourself into not doing well on this test. It takes solid preparation by doing well day to day in your coursework and learning some standardized test-taking skills on the side. In the end, you walk in and give this your best shot.
5.Enjoy the process. This can be an interesting and variable journey. Keep positive. As a veteran from the trenches and currently in a trench of sorts, I have learned to trust the abilities that have been with me since birth (ability to work hard and high energy level). At the end of the day, these get me further than angst.
Glad to have you aboard and feel free to ask questions of this collective brain. It’s a good one
Natalie

Hi Matt! Welcome to OPM. It sounds like you’re on your way.
Love,
Stacy

Hey Matt, I was in the same boat, business degree in IT, worked in consulting for a couple of years then looked to switch. I had a subpar GPA from first undergrad and needed to take all the sciences. Now, I am interviewing and surprised at how well things turned out. I started off taking a part time evening science class, gen chem actually to see if it would work out. After two of those I decided I could handle the work and switched to a full time schedule at my state school, no formal post bacc program there, but you can use the regular pre med office, mine was preetty decent at University of MD. I added some volunteering and met with professors during that time to shore up some rec letters. I took one summer class and an MCAT review course this past June. The whole process to be ready to apply took about 18 mos from start to finish. So, I think you have the right idea. If you perform well in your post-bacc work, your old GPA won’t keep you out of med school, I have been very suprised by some places that granted me an interview, given my old GPA. A decent MCAT, and solid post-bacc GPA can get you there. Let me know if you have any specific questions, and best of luck to you.
-Brendan

Hi,
Since you haven’t taken the required science courses yet, don’t worry too much about your low GPA. Use those science courses to boost your GPA. You could get another BS or you could do a post-bac program that would give you the required courses and maybe some good additional ones like micro, genetics, physiology. Those can help you on the MCAT, especially Physiology.
Make sure you really study hard for the MCAT. A great score will help out any lower than average GPA to some extent.
Good luck.