New electronic MCAT?

Does anyone know anything about the new MCAT which I have been told will be online for the August 2006 cycle?
I visited an MCAT test center at TSU in Houston and they said that beginning in August, 06 - the MCAT is supposed to be a computer-based test like the GRE is now and also the CLEP’s. ALso, they didn’t have alot of information, but they thought it would be “shorter?”
Will it really make any difference? I’m planning on sitting for the MCAT in April, should I wait for August?
Here’s a link which talks a bit about it:
http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/pressrel/2005/050718.htm
Thanks!
Jeff c.

Kaplan sent me an e-mail with info on the computer test, and soon the test will have 33% fewer multiple choice questions and one fewer essay, but it was not clear to me if all these changes would take place at once. I guess it depends on how well you take each type of test, whether you decide to postpone taking it or not. Personally, I would never want to go for a computerized multiple choice test, since I get those answers by doodling and eliminating answers - much easier to do on a paper format. OTOH, if I had been able to write the essay on computer, I would have gotten the top score for sure. Who writes by hand anymore?

Yeah tell me about it, I type 150 wpm, there’s no way in hell I can write that fast. Especially once writer’s cramp sets in, ugh.

Hi there,
I took GRE, USMLE (all steps) and LSAT on computer. There is no significant difference between taking multiple guess test on computer and on paper. You can still write things on the swipe boards with grease pencil if you must.
I would loved to have taken the MCAT on computer. My ABSITE (American Board of Surgery In-Training Exam) is given on paper and I consider that a huge pain in the rear end just having to color in those little bubbles.
Natalie

Tim,
You’ve definitely got that right! For myself, who enjoys taking time formulating and organizing an essay, the mechanical aspect of having to write the essay was a huge drawback. I wish that I could have taken the multiple choice by pencil but the essay by computer. However, it all becomes moot soon since the test is going over to computer soon. For me it’s moot already because I’m done with the test.
For all of you who haven’t taken the test yet, my advice is to simply look at it as another challenge which you are going to conquer, like many of the challenges we face as non-trads moving through the process.
Larry

Like Natalie, I took my 2nd GRE on the computer. The first time I took it for my M.S. I did okay (on paper) but nothing spectacular. The second time for my Ph.D. (on computer) I did much better. I am now used to being on the computer for just about anything so I’ll be happy to take it on the computer.
That’s just my experience. To get really used to the on-line version, I plan on taking many practice tests online.

I am so happy about this switch to computer format.

I’m opting for the paper version. I remember reading somewhere about choosing between a paper organizer and a electronic type (palm, etc). The writer said if you are a tactile thinker who thinks by writing then you should pick paper…but, if you’re a visual thinker, you should pick the electronic organizer. I think if you are a tactile thinker, then paper is better. But, if you really feel more comfortable on the computer than according to the MCAT website you have the advantage of a shorter test. I however really like having paper to scribble on.
Cheers,
Catherine
p.s. MCAT online registration is open.

What if you get one of those annoying flickering monitors?

I see the bad/good of both. My typing good, but isn’t insanely fast. Writing is a hobby of mine so I can write for days without a cramp.

By the time I took the MCAT I had a well-honed technique for taking paper-and-pencil multiple choice tests, and I did well. Consequently, I was very concerned about the USMLE because they are all on the computer. However, once I prepared and practiced, it wasn’t nearly as big a deal as I’d anticipated. As Natalie said, you can use the provided write-erase board to do your doodling. I’m sure the interface will be similar to the USMLE - you can mark questions you want to return to, leave things blank and go back to them, etc. (It’s my understanding that you cannot go back on the GRE because it’s an adaptive test, but I don’t know much about it.)
For those of you fretting about one version or the other, let me tell you it really isn’t going to make any difference. You’ll be able to practice and adapt. Don’t spend any emotional energy on this, it’s a non-issue.
Mary

I agree with Mary. I’ve done both USMLE I and II on computer, and once you do a little practice it’s just not a big deal. Additionally, now for the USMLE, you even have the ability to electronically highlight sections and cross out answers. I had this feature on Step II (it was just out), and although I didn’t use it much, it was nice to know it was there. And I must say, one of the advantages of doing the test on computer is you work at your own pace and don’t have to wait for the collection of papers between blocks, etcetera. Also, I found the computer testing environment, complete with earplugs, and individual cubicles, to be much easier to concentrate in then in the big room with everyone writing like on the MCAT. I think it helped me concentrate.
Epidoc

Quote:

Does anyone know anything about the new MCAT which I have been told will be online for the August 2006 cycle?
I visited an MCAT test center at TSU in Houston and they said that beginning in August, 06 - the MCAT is supposed to be a computer-based test like the GRE is now and also the CLEP’s. ALso, they didn’t have alot of information, but they thought it would be “shorter?”
Will it really make any difference? I’m planning on sitting for the MCAT in April, should I wait for August?
Here’s a link which talks a bit about it:
http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/pressrel/2005/050718.htm
Thanks!
Jeff c.

Jeff,
Just to clarify things, the paper exam will still be administered in August '06, but there will also be a trial of the CBT version on that date. The FAQ on AMCAS’s website explains this pretty well. They say the cutover to CBT-only test administration will begin some time in 2007.
Cheers,

The last I heard (a couple of months ago), the CBT will begin in Spring 2007. The tentative plan is to administer 22 tests over 20 days, including mornings, afternoons, weekdays, weekends. The test will be a 1/2 day test.
Cheers,
Judy

This is from the AAMC MCAT registration web site:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/cbtreg.htm

You all are on it!!! I love the great info on this forum. One more thing to stoke the fires with - the same person who told me about the test, said she expects the med school acceptance system to change dramatically also. She said that after the electronic test, one will be able to apply and find out within a matter of weeks vs. months regarding interviews, acceptances, etc. Any more thoughts???
BTW, I am thinking of putting off my test until August. I won’t finish organic chem until the summer and since I am schooling full-time right now I might want to take some time to just puch my MCAT study harder. You folks really helped by alleviating the fear that Univ. counselors try to cast by saying that witing until August makes one virtually ineligible. I thought, “why give it, if that’s the case?”
Thanks for the clarification!!!

While it may help to get scores back sooner, I don’t think it will be any easier for the application cycle as far as interview dates and notifications. There will still be a lot of people applying and vying for interview spots, so I imagine the acceptance time-frame would be different. What would change is knowing your score right away and being able to hold off or proceed with your application.
But we’ll find out for sure soon enough!

I also don’t think it will drastically change the admissions process. Medical schools will still have set application deadlines. I agree with Meg that probably the only noticable difference will be in the timing of applications being submitted/complete.

Right Larry, MOOT MOOT MOOT, I am not going back there, even if I do want a record of that 42 that I deserve.

The AAMC site linked had some great info on it about the change.

Of note, the August 06 MCAT will be the last pencil-and-paper offering, it will take 30 days to get scores, and it will probably cost a little more than the current MCAT. Unlike the GRE, it won’t be a computer adaptive test. It looks like it will use some kind of proprietary word procesing software; hopefully that’ll be intuitive enough. As a whole, the MCAT will be about 1/3 shorter.

I’ve come across some online practice MCATs in the past… I wonder how similar the official online version will be.