New fears about old GPAs

So here’s my issue of the week:

97-2000, I had a wee bit too much fun in my undergrad, had a cGPA of 2.53. Here, I shall insert the spinning viking emoticon because it properly illustrates my conduct at that time.

2001-2003- I transfer schools, and through focus and hard work, I graduate with honors with a cGPA of 3.56.

If I do the numbers down the line, the two together average out to about 2.96. Unfortunately, the lions share of my credits were at school #1.

I am now about to start post-bac with a “4.0 or bust!” mentality. As a “non-traditional”, will my post bac work carry greater weight, or am I, short of a perfect MCAT score, doomed?

I am, of course, aware of the axiom “Well if you don’t try you have zero chance!” But I just want to get a clear idea of what I am facing here.

First of all, what’s done is done. Period. You can’t change it. But, you can change your future behavior.

You can get a 4.0 (or close to it). Its totally doable, but stressing about the past is counterproductive. What you can do, though, is assess your previous work habits and create goals and study plan that you will follow from here on out.

Overcoming a poor GPA can be done. I did it, going from a 2.6 cGPA (no sci) to a 3.2 cGPA and a 3.8 sGPA. Others on this site have done it too. But, it does take a serious letting go of the past with lessons learned and ready to apply to the future.

Good luck!

How long did it take for you? Or more specifically, how many credits?

• jkdamighty Said:
So here's my issue of the week:

97-2000, I had a wee bit too much fun in my undergrad, had a cGPA of 2.53. Here, I shall insert the spinning viking emoticon because it properly illustrates my conduct at that time.

2001-2003- I transfer schools, and through focus and hard work, I graduate with honors with a cGPA of 3.56.

If I do the numbers down the line, the two together average out to about 2.96. Unfortunately, the lions share of my credits were at school #1.

I am now about to start post-bac with a "4.0 or bust!" mentality. As a "non-traditional", will my post bac work carry greater weight, or am I, short of a perfect MCAT score, doomed?

I am, of course, aware of the axiom "Well if you don't try you have zero chance!" But I just want to get a clear idea of what I am facing here.

While it is difficult to get accepted to medical school, many students make it seem mythically impossible. Several things to think about here

1) You can't change the past.

Your original GPA will be there. Focusing on the past items that you can't change simply wastes time and energy that would be better spent on current things that you can change.

2) Schools look at more than overall GPA.

Both the AMCAS and AACOMAS applications break down GPA from original undergrad, post-bacc, graduate, as well as science and non-science, plus cumulative GPAs. So highly improved post-bacc grades will stand out among a weaker over all transcript.

3) The MCAT is your friend.

GPA and MCAT are consistently ranked by 75% of medical schools as either the first or second most important factors when considering applicants. You cant change the Past grades but you can do well on the MCAT. That impresses an adcom

4) Beware of FUD: Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.

It is easy to let worries about how your past grades will affect your chances. Those worries can become fears that grow. So many students get themselves believing that they have little chance of getting in. Yet medical schools across the country are seeing the diversity of students shrinking. Good students are self-selecting away from medical school for several reason, including thinking that they do not have the grades to make it, unless they are running a perfect 4.0.

So don't get hung on on past GPA

Thanks guys.

It took me about 3 years. I took my first class in summer of 2007, while pregnant with my son. I took the following semester off, for obvious reasons. I went back in the spring of 2008 with a vengeance. I went year round, including summers, taking my last semester of O Chem in fall 2009. I took a total of 64 semester hours, mostly science and mostly at a CC. During the summers, I went full time. During the school year, I took 9 - 12 hours, and was a full time stay at home mom during the day. While completing my prereqs and studying for the MCAT, I have also had two children, so being pregnant, delivering by c-section, recovering, breastfeeding, and caring for small children. Before you think, “Man, that’s a lot of work!” , let me say this.

Its been a positively amazing, fulfilling, satisfying, balancing experience. School has been a blast and I loved learning and growing intellectually. Being a mom has been incredible also. And those two things together? Deeply satisfying. I have loved that my dual identity has forced me into finding balance in my life.

Remember, going to med school is a LONG road. It goes by so much faster if you’re having fun and enjoying the nuts and bolts learning associated with the whole thing. For me, I can’t wait to get to med school and start with the next stage in my education. I’m already accepted, looking for a place to live. My husband is fully supportive and excited to keep going on this with me, which makes all of the difference.

So, my advice is this. Keep your eyes focused on the future and where you’re going, but don’t forget to enjoy the journey. Going back to school when you’re older is a second chance at becoming the person you were always meant to be.

Go back and look at Rich’s Rule #2. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Judy