New Guy

Hi,

I don’t know if I qualify as an “old” doctor… but the people on here are some of the most helpful I’ve seen… So I signed up.

I’m 23 years old. I fell in love with medicine in the Fire Department where I was an EMT and I have since decided to pursue Pre-med. I have a previous BS in Networking Science with a CGPA of 3.74. I’m looking into the a Post Bacc program out here (Montana). I’m hoping to start next year ( I need to take Pre-calc this year).

The program takes Chem I and II and PHYS I and II durring the summer session. Does any one here have any experience with these types of programs?

Again, thank you all for your help.

Is there any reason why you want to do the MSU post-bacc? To my knowledge it doesn’t offer any linkages (which is sort of the appeal of doing a formal post-bacc in the first place.) Moreover, I don’t know if you need to go the formal route because your cGPA is pretty strong. I would suggest doing an informal math review this summer (read: just get a pre-calc textbook and work through it at your own speed) and then start your pre-reqs in the fall. You could conceivably do this:

2009/10: Bio 1/2 + Chem 1/2

Summer 2010: Physics 1 (and 2 if you’re feeling crazy)

2010/11: Orgo 1/2 + Physics 2

Spring 2011: MCAT

You would still apply for the same cycle but the course load would be lighter and you could still work part-time (free-time allowing, that is)

Just my $.02

Good luck

The advisor here said something about it being “A bit of a heavy load at first, which Med schools like to see as it proves you can perform under rigerous conditions.”

As far as the math goes, The last math I took was a while ago, and I need to bone up on Algebra and Pre calc (In preparation for PHYS I/II and Calc). Teaching myself Pre-calc won’t be an option. Re-teaching myself Algebra isn’t something I really want to do either.

The admissions advisor here (The program directory in all actuality, an MD) suggessted doing the program “As recomended” (obviously).

Right now I have a need to work full time (It’s a strange working situation, but basically I work noon - 10pm or 10pm - 8 am 4 times a week). If I don’t work I won’t eat, and I’ll have to sleep in the park… on a bench… in the rain (well, it’d be the snow, because it’s Montana).

I thought I would post how the “Summer Sessions” work out here:

Two sessions,

Each 6 weeks in length,

You meet 5 days a week for an hour.

• kotarouf Said:
The advisor here said something about it being "A bit of a heavy load at first, which Med schools like to see as it proves you can perform under rigerous conditions."

As far as the math goes, The last math I took was a while ago, and I need to bone up on Algebra and Pre calc (In preparation for PHYS I/II and Calc). Teaching myself Pre-calc won't be an option. Re-teaching myself Algebra isn't something I really want to do either.

The admissions advisor here (The program directory in all actuality, an MD) suggessted doing the program "As recomended" (obviously).

Right now I have a need to work full time (It's a strange working situation, but basically I work noon - 10pm or 10pm - 8 am 4 times a week). If I don't work I won't eat, and I'll have to sleep in the park... on a bench... in the rain (well, it'd be the snow, because it's Montana).

I think that if you go along the lines of slambo and do really well in those classes, and make sure you do well with the MCAT, that would go a long way.

What I would do is to check out different medical schools that interest you and find out what their requirements are. Between taking your prereqs and working, and doing well...I think that is a heavy enough load.

Right now I’m going to take the summer and try and make sure I make it into the local hospital for at least 20 hours of vol. work a week. I would hope that that, combined with the 11 mos. I worked as an EMT would provide me with enough patient contact…

As for taking classes… What I’d really like to do… is:

Fall 09: Bio I, Chem I, Algebra

Spring 10: Bio II, Chem II, Pre-Calc

Fall 10: Ochem I, Calc, (Phys I)

Spring 11: Ochem II, BCHM, (Phys II)

Maybe take Phys I and II Summer session (hence the parenthesis) in 2010 (before Fall session where I take Ochem and Calc). ’

Not sure about BCHM either… as far as my understanding goes, If I take my MCAT’s in the early Spring/Summer I won’t matriculate (god willing high grades and reasonable MCAT’s) until fall a year later… which makes me wonder: Why not take Bio-Chem Fall of 2011?

Again, thank you all for your help.

I have a couple of friends in the post bac program at MSU now and they think it’s great. It also has a very high success rate of getting people into med school. I wouldn’t worry so much about the math side of things in phs I and II. If you take 205+206 it is algebra based. It’s pretty basic math wise and is generally taught very well at MSU…

Most post-bacc programs assume that you will not work while you’re enrolled in them. Again, JMHO, but I think that it would be disadvantageous to work and attempt a formal post-bacc at the same time.

I certainly don’t want to discourage you from going the “formal” route if you have your heart set on it. But I don’t think it’s necessary.

Slabmo,

No… you’re not discouraging me at all… I know that I might have to SEVERLY cut back on my hours… or quit. The only thing I have going for me right now is that I have a work schedule that is flexible and allows me to work nights (10pm - 8am) for 4 days followed by 4 days off… In a way, it has the opportunity to allow me to study at work (It’s a kind of slow desk job) while making day/morning classes. At the same time… I’m not going to let anything scuttle my little boat here.

Here’s one more question for you guys. While I was doing my Undergrad I took a class at a local community college for fun (rudimentry music theory) and ended up having to drop it and I now have a W in it… will this be a big problem for me?

Slambo,

The bost bac at MSU is well regarded and is directly linked to UW through the WAMMI porgram. If you hadnt noticed UW medicine has been ranked the best primary care medical school for 17 years, and it’s also usually in the top 6 or 7 research based med schools. This school is awsome - I live in Seattle, I want to go there, but they don’t take many, if any students over 30.

Kotarouf,

I don’t think age will be an issue for you, so if you want to go to UW, the MSU post bac is a great “back door”.

• kangoroo Said:
Slambo,

If you hadnt noticed UW medicine has been ranked the best primary care medical school for 17 years, and it's also usually in the top 6 or 7 research based med schools.

Needlessly snarky? Hmmmm...

Ahh stuff happens… let’s let this fly.

UW sounds cool… I’m interested in ER medicine currently… don’t know if that means anything.

LOL! I suppose so – snarky. The “if you hadn’t noticed” phrase was not necessary, I admit. I am very biased over UW Medical School; it’s my dream school – I’d rather go there than Harvard, and it is nearly as difficult to get in to. I really encourage anyone who is a Montana, Idaho, Wyoming or Alaska resident to look into the WAMI program – it’s a great deal.

I just didn’t see any mention of linkages on the MSU PB website. Is the UW linkage common knowledge? Or does UW merely consider MSU students as constructively in-state? (I know that Colorado treats Montana residents as in-state as well.)

• kotarouf Said:
Slabmo,

Here's one more question for you guys. While I was doing my Undergrad I took a class at a local community college for fun (rudimentry music theory) and ended up having to drop it and I now have a W in it... will this be a big problem for me?

Hardly anything I would flinch over... there are some people here that have to deal with C, D's and even a few F's in "not for fun classes" and they pull through. Doubt the W will be much of an issue...
  • slambo Said:
I just didn't see any mention of linkages on the MSU PB website. Is the UW linkage common knowledge? Or does UW merely consider MSU students as constructively in-state? (I know that Colorado treats Montana residents as in-state as well.)

If you go to UW Med page- WWAMI page, it explains the program. Residents of participating states take their first year of med school at home paying in-state tuition, but they are considered UW Med students. The next year is at the UW campus, paying out of state tuition, and the clinicals are spread throughout the 5 states. About 25% of each class is from one of the WWAMI states. I know about this because I used to live in Montana, and had I stayed and finished undergrad there I would have, ironically, had a better chance of getting into UW Med than I do now as a Washington resident/ UW undergrad.

No, I guess it is not common knowledge if your not from the area - sorry about that. I think there is a link to the program from the MSU site, but it is harder to navigate to.