New here! Just a couple questions

Hello, I am new here and just have a few questions. I’m a 25 year-old finishing up my Batchelor’s Nursing Degree. I currently have a gpa of 3.7. I had planned on going on to get my Master’s in Nursing but have decided I really want to become a DO. Also, with school and a 7 month-old daughter, I haven’t done any volunteer work. Should I start doing volunteer work now. I will not be graduating for another year. Does it count against me that I will have a degree in nursing and not BIO or CHEM?

I am in a similar situation. I am 25 and just got my LPN license. I decided that what I really wanted was to become a doctor so I have switched to premed to finish up some of the upper level science classes. From what I have heard med schools don’t really care what your undergrad degree is in. They just want to see that you did well in your prereqs and are a well rounded student.

This is true. There are people who have come from dozens of various fields prior to attending med school. My suggestion would be to find out what the medical school requires of you before you are eligible to apply.

I am an R.N, actually a CRNA and an ARNP. I think your best bet would be to work part-time as a R.N. while you are getting your prereq’s for med school if you need them, and forget the volunteer work unless your heart so desires. Seriously, there is no volunteer experience that is as good as ACTUALLY being responsible, caring for, and making medical decisions for other peoples lives.

Good luck!!

Volunteer work does not necessarily mean health care volunteer work. I agree that the OP can work as a nurse while pursuing prerequisites but some sort of demonstration of commitment to your community through giving is also expected. Volunteering can be through church, scouts, school, community - you name it. But it is a separate category on your medical school application and it is not an area that should be discounted or overlooked.

Mary