New here.

I’m new here. I’m 29 years old, going for 30 next year and decided to go back to school. I already have one associates degree in a field I’m not currently working in. So I made the decision to return to school to get my education that is actually worth it. I just barely started. Right now I am working for an RN degree. But as soon I finish getting my RN license, I am going to take classes need to get into medical school.

I wanted to be a doctor as a kid, but when I entered high school I found out I am bad in math, very bad. I don’t even remember how to do fractions, you can forget algebra. But I’m determined now to do the best I can to become a physician. I know it’s going to be really hard, and very time consuming, but I really want to be a doctor. I just hope I can survive the math.

Red,

math is my weakness also, but you have to turn it into a strength. There are many posters on here who have overcome the challenge and made it into school as a non-trad student. The biggest suggestion I’ve heard is to first change your attitude towards the math, then start telling yourself you like it and enjoy it, lastly get a tutor and devote more time than usual to it.

I know I used to spend more time on writing and language arts because I was stronger and liked it better. Then spend what was leftover on the math, with a grimace on my face to say the least, and it showed in my performance. My goal is to start off with a pre-algebra, pre-calc class also to give me the foundation again. Take your time and pace yourself.

I hope I can understand the math now than I did back in high school. I had no idea what they were talking about!

My plan is to first get my RN’s liscense. And after that transfer over to a 4 year college, I’m hoping USA and major in their biomedical sciences. After that applying to med schools (which I hope will be UAB), and jump into being a doctor.

I have a bit of a head start (sort of). I currently work in a doctor’s office with about 60+ doctors affiliated with us. I occassionally get people coming in the building asking us if we’re a hospital from being so big. I first started working in a pod with 2 endos and 2 GI’s. Then I got shuffled into checking new patients for all of the doctors. It’s OK. I just check in new patients, collect co-pays, get yelled at why their insurance won’t pay for stuff, and make coffee. I really don’t want to be doing THIS the rest of my life. So thus the RN route first, and then the Med school route. I just took my midterm for biology yesterday and I think I did pretty well. Next semester is basic math (eek) and a humanities elective!