new here

Hi I would liketo introduce myself,I just found this site and am very happy about it.My name is Angie and I am 41 years old. I am senior in te premed program at Kent state. Alot of people think I have lost my mind going to med school at my age. I waited unil my kids were older to finish school. I know I am not the oldest to attend med school but probably close. The only thing I am worried about is actually getting into medical school. I read an article that said they tend not to admit people over 23. I look forward to this group. Thanks
Angie

Hi, Angie. At my school, there are at least 10-15 of us over 30 in the first year class. I'm 36 and am only the fourth oldest (38, 41 and 44 ahead of me). Albany, I think, makes an effort to ensure that each class is varied in background and experience, and I know that it's not the only school to do so. The average age of med school classes across the country has been rising for some time.
I think you'll probably hear from some others on this forum for whom age is simply a state of mind. So don't worry about what your birth certificate says. Good luck.

Hi Angie,
That is not the case, sure it is harder for us non-traditional students to get back in, but we bring so much more to the table than the average 22 year old cookie cutter bio major! I think it depends on the school, since some are more interested in the variety that we tend to provide.
Good Luck…where were you going to take your MCATS?

Angie,
As a 52-year old who will begin med school on Aug. 8 at West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, let me assure you that there are schools where you will fit in just fine.
I know of at least 4 other people already who have been accepted to WVSOM for next year, and I have already met at least 4 or 5 first-year students now that are in there 40s and 50s.
Don't worry about what others say. Stay focused. Keep working towards your goal. Prepare yourself well for your application and MCAT, and look forward to the future with a positive attitude. You can do it!
Good luck as you move towards an exciting and rewarding future!

Thanks for the encouragement. I feel much better. I don't know where I am taking my mcats yet. I have to take physics yet.
Angie

Angie,
You will, unfortunately, encounter many nay-sayers in this journey…we all have. However, rest assured, when you feel outnumbered or discouraged, just come here to vent, share your frustrations and draw strength from our community. OPM's members are on a mission! Our mission is to re-educate all of the pre-med advisors and med school admissions officers just how valuable nontraditionals are to their programs.
You know, ironically, being older did pose extra challenges to getting into medical school. But, my life & professional experience were a huge asset when it came to applying to residency programs. Funny, you would think that the med schools would pick up on that already?
We look forward to your participation in OPM. The more you put into us, the more you will get out of us!