New Introduction!

Hello everyone!

My name is Kenya, and I am a 26 year old student at a technical college in Milwaukee. I will be packing up and heading to Texas in August to begin my journey as a Biology/Pre Med student at the University of Texas- San Antonio. I know moving to TX from WI is rather random. I had my choice between Tulane, LSU and UTSA…and I chose TX. Anyone else here from San Antonio?

I am currently taking some classes this summer. I am taking Gen Chem 2 and Trig. My fall semester @ UTSA includes O-Chem 1 and Calc 1. I am incredibly nervous, scared, and excited!!

Other things about me…I have worked in healthcare since I was 17 as a CNA, and got my EMT lic. a year ago. I absolutely love love love Microbiology (hence the name!). Too bad UTSA doesn’t have it as a major.

I hope this site will be a valuable resource to me. Sometimes I feel like I am the only non traditional pre med student in the world. I know I’m not though, but I still feel that way from time to time.

Anyway…hi to everyone!!

-Kenya

Hey Kenya. Welcome to the group! You are most certainly not the only non-trad pre-med out there. Hopefully our group can provide you with much support and guidance as you continue the process of becoming a doctor.

Good luck in your classes this summer and in your move!

We’re all with ya! 26…kinda young for a nontrad.

• croooz Said:
We're all with ya! 26....kinda young for a nontrad.

Pff, mock not the young-oldpremeds

Welcome, Kenya! I feel kind of silly... but seeing your name reminded me of this incredibly random video.

Hello Kenya:

Welcome! No, you’re not the only non-traditional premed student out there! This site is a true testament to that! I am a 42 year old premed who is slowly, but surely making her way to pursing that dream!

The organization, through this website, is a great resource for inspiration, advice (for all kinds of issues) and more! Enjoy!

I know, I know! But I see alot of people who are 6 and 7 years younger than me further than where I am…that makes me feel old. LOL.

But it doesn’t matter…slow and steady wins the race. And it just took me a little longer to figure out that I was going to go for the gusto and try Pre Med. I was originally going for my LPN but the waitlist at my school was SO long…and I have ALWAYS wanted to be a doctor…I was just too scared to try and fufill my dream.

That’s changed now though.

I LOVE THAT CARTOON!!

I saw it a long time ago and lost the link for it…I’m glad you posted that! LOL!!

• Larry Said:
Hey Kenya. Welcome to the group! You are most certainly not the only non-trad pre-med out there. Hopefully our group can provide you with much support and guidance as you continue the process of becoming a doctor.

Good luck in your classes this summer and in your move!

Thank you so much! I belong to a couple of other pre-med communities online, but so far I have found this one to be much friendlier and resourceful.

Hey Streptococci,

It’s really exciting to be (re)starting school! I treasure that first day of general chem–my first college course in many years; I recall being a little nervous but also very high. It took me about a week to come back down to earth–the reality of the work load hit me–but it’s such a great feeling to know you’re advancing yourself through your hard work, not merely working for that next paycheck.

Good luck in San Antone; been there once and it’s a beautiful city, and for those of us who love Tex-Mex cooking it’s got to be paradise. We were just in Okla. City visiting my folks and I got my biannual hit of Tex-Mex, yum.

I LOVE San Antonio amd I think you’ll like going to school there. It’s pretty hot this time of year but still a great small city!