New Kid on the Block

Greetings All,

I’ve been a member here for a while but I rarely posted in the past and mainly just read posts. I’m a 31yr old married mom of an almost 11 yr old son. I have always wanted to become a physician but life and circumstances got in the way. I have come to realize that I am not on my time, but I’m on God’s time and med schools aren’t going anywhere so if it’s God’s will then my goal of becoming a physician will be fulfilled.

I have a B.S. in Psychology & Sociology with a crappy GPA of 2.5 and an M.P.H. with a GPA of 3.5. I’ve worked in various fields and have a lot of research experience. I’m currently working in higher ed and I don’t really know how I ended up here. lol

I still have to take about six prereqs but taking them right not is not an option because of finances. I’ve been toying with the idea of applying to an accelarated nursing program to 1. save some money 2. gain more experience in healthcare. I really hate the idea of uprooting my child so I’m thinking about working as a nurse for now and apply to med school while he’s applying to college. Also, living off of one income is not an option for us and won’t be anytime soon therefore med school is on hold for now.

No matter what I do my heart pulls me back to becoming a physician. For me it’s not about money. If that was the case I would’ve chosen another field. I truly feel as becoming a physician is my true calling. I’m really being drawn to osteopathic medicine. I love it! There isn’t an osteopathic med school in my state so we would have to move. My husband is all for it but our son is very active in sports, school, and church and I don’t want to take that from him.

I’ve gone through a lot in my 31yrs of living and I wouldn’t change anything that happened in my past if I could because those experiences have made me who I am today…a better person, a better wife, a better mom, and they have given me a greater appreciation for life; the small and bigger things. I’ve survived through depression, the death of my mom, seven surgeries, and much more so surely I can survive through this med school process. I do pick up a MCAT book from time to time because God just may decide to surprise me and make this a reality sooner rather than later so I want to be prepared.

I’ve elated to see OPM progress to what it has become today and I look forward to sharing my journey with you and learning from you. This is a much needed site.

at 31 you are still a “kid” on the block as I’m approaching 50 at an ever increasing acceleration. You have time to pursue medicine. Don’t let the fear of time passing make you feel as if you need to make a hasty decision in how you enter medicine.

Keep us informed