New MCAT

Is anyone else feeling a time crunch to get their prereqs done before the 2015 MCAT?

Unfortunately, I don’t think I will be able to take Biochemistry before going to medical school, and hence my worries regarding the new MCAT…

I do!! I’m doing a marathon 16 months of coursework. Thankfully I have only 8 classes to go, with two starting tomorrow I’m looking forward to December, so I can say, “I have 6 classes to go!”

I have a total of 5 classes, but due to my schedule I can only take one per semester…not to mention that certain classes are only offered during certain semesters. But anyways, gotta do what you gotta do right? I am glad I started the process though…the first step is always hard

Why not just start studying biochemistry now, bit by bit. So, that by the time of the new MCAT, you will already have the biochemical knowledge to handle the biochemistry questions even though you will not have taken a biochemistry class. You can then take the class after the MCAT and do well because you have already seen and understood the material.

I could do that…and probably will to some extent…but I already have quite a ways to go (need 1 yr of biology, and 1 year of organic chemistry).

It doesn’t help that the local community college only offers certain classes once a year, and at somewhat difficult times. This, honestly, is rather annoying. My plan/hope is that I can at least take the MCAT in 2014 before the new one comes out. At least then I will have a year or two afterwards (MCAT scores are valid for some time) to complete the remaining classes that didn’t quite fit in, but were not a necessity for MCAT prep (I have heard Organic Chem 2 and Biology 2 more/less fall into this category). Don’t get me wrong, I’ll probably self study the material to an extent, just not have taken the class formally by exam time.

• shezadeh Said:
At least then I will have a year or two afterwards (MCAT scores are valid for some time) to complete the remaining classes that didn't quite fit in, but were not a necessity for MCAT prep (I have heard Organic Chem 2 and Biology 2 more/less fall into this category).

Almost all of the physiology, evolution, and microbiology was in my bio2 class (stuff that's on the MCAT). I'm pretty sure some immunology stuff was in my bio2 class as well.

Orgo2 was on there also but to a lesser extent. You could take a prep course that will cover the "need to know" aspects of the topics from those classes but they are usually taught assuming it is review for the students in the class.

My advice would be to triple check any other possible ways to get the courses done before you take the pre2015 MCAT. After that, I would take an introspective look at what scares you about the 2015 vs the current MCAT. From AAMC on MCAT2015:

" Natural sciences sections of the MCAT2015 exam reflect recent changes in medical education.

Addition of the social and behavioral sciences section, Psychological, Social and Biological Foundations of Behavior, recognizes the importance of socio-cultural and behavioral determinants of health and health outcomes.

And the new Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills section reflects the fact that medical schools want well-rounded applicants from a variety of backgrounds."

Is it just the biochem that you are avoiding or do the other things on there scare you? If the ONLY thing on there that is hanging you up is biochem then you need to ask yourself these questions:

Is it better to take the 2015 MCAT having self-studied for biochem (one upper-division course)?

Or is it better to take the pre2015 MCAT possibly without having Bio2 and/or Orgo2 (two foundational courses)?