New Medical Schools Accredited

The AAMC has accredited 3 new medical schools:

Texas Tech University’s Paul L. Foster School of Medicine in El Paso, Texas

Florida International University College of Medicine in Miami

University of Central Florida College of Medicine in Orlando, Fla.

Another 5 are in the the pipeline for accreditation:

Scripps School of Medicine in California

Oakland University Beaumont Medical School in Michigan

Hofstra University School of Medicine in New York

Commonwealth Medical College in Pennsylvania

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine in Virginia.

Well at least 800 seats increase

I think that Residency programs will have to be increased, we need all these new Docs plus what we have now. this includes the Caribbean grads.

Also two new Osteopathic Colleges have opened and are taking students starting this august

Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences

College of Osteopathic Medicine

Yakima, WA

Rocky Vista University

College of Osteopathic Medicine

Parker, CO

Normally I wouldn’t mention new Caribbean Medical schools until they have been around for sometime. However, two groups formerly of Ross University, certainly a well-regarded and well-run school purchased by Devry Institutes in 2003, have begun their own medical schools

The University of Medicine and Health Sciences - St. Kitts (US Offices in NY, FL, MI, CA)

http://www.umhs-sk.org/

(This new school has be started by the same Dr. Ross who founded Ross University)

Trinity University School of Medicine - St. Vincent (US Office in Miami, FL)

http://www.tusom.org/ (This school has been started by a group of administrators who formerly ran Ross University)

I am certainly not recommending either one but at least to me, their previous connection to Ross University does indicate at least some history with a well run, highly regarded school and suggesting they should not be dismissed out of hand

<<

The AAMC has accredited 3 new medical schools:

Texas Tech University’s Paul L. Foster School of Medicine in El Paso, Texas

Florida International University College of Medicine in Miami

University of Central Florida College of Medicine in Orlando, Fla.

>>

Oh MAN, look at these warm, warm places. Just an update, it’s practically June here in Buffalo and it’s still dipping into the 40s in the mornings. WAAAH!!!

That’s what I always liked about Buffalo, NY: 10 months of winter and 2 months of bad skiing.

WELCOME to the near-artic Northeast! Here in New Hampster, we are still dipping into the low-40s/high-30s at night. In fact, until the 5th or 6th of May, we were still hitting the mid-20s…YES, that is MID-TWENTIES!!!..for overnight lows. Furthermore, when I drove down to pick up Wendy & the girls from the Manchester airport - about 90miles south of home - there was still SNOW on several of the ski mountains!

Of course, here in Lebanon we had the highest snow accumulation on record with just over 12.5FEET…yes, 12.5 FEET of the FLUFFY WHITE SHIT this winter. A normal year will have us in the 6ft range - we exceeded that just after Christmas.

Ahhhhhh…we are already longing for the balmy climate of Lafayette, IN!!

• gonnif Said:
Normally I wouldn't mention new Caribbean Medical schools until they have been around for sometime. However, two groups formerly of Ross University, certainly a well-regarded and well-run school purchased by Devry Institutes in 2003, have begun their own medical schools

The University of Medicine and Health Sciences - St. Kitts (US Offices in NY, FL, MI, CA)

http://www.umhs-sk.org/

(This new school has be started by the same Dr. Ross who founded Ross University)

Trinity University School of Medicine - St. Vincent (US Office in Miami, FL)

http://www.tusom.org/ (This school has been started by a group of administrators who formerly ran Ross University)

I am certainly not recommending either one but at least to me, their previous connection to Ross University does indicate at least some history with a well run, highly regarded school and suggesting they should not be dismissed out of hand

Well without student loans who can attend these new schools?

The representative from Trinity University SOM informs me that the school has both a reduced tuition ($10K per semester) and is arranging financing via private lenders. This the school started by the formers administrators of Ross.

There was another medical school, which I have not mention previously nor will I now. It is apparently just across the border in Mexico but has yet to be started under several different names. On most levels it appears to be a scam but ironically, it had a very workable financing plan. I had a discussion with some of the financial people backing the school (or rather managing the finances for an oil family from Houston). They are basically loaning you the money at full cost with no interest during school, and then essentially assume most of the debt when you graduate (80%) leaving the student with about under $20K. Basically they take the 80% (about $80k) as a tax writeoff, effectively gives them about $25K in tax reduction or “real money”. If it sounds like this is a tax loophole, it isn;t. used by about every major charity in the US.

Maybe OldPreMeds should start its own off shore school and we can have our conferences in Aruba!