new member introduction

Hi everyone, I’m new to the site (long time reader-but new member) and wanted to introduce myself and tell my story…

I’m 30 now, decided to drop out of high school when I was 17 and got my GED. I bummed around alot for 9 years, (got married somewhere in there) and finally decided I wanted to do something more with my life, so I enrolled at a community college. While I was there, I rediscovered my love of the sciences, and was exposed to different possibilities…long story short, I decided to pursue medicine. I graduated from c.c. with high honors and transferred to the University of Central FL., where I am currently working on my bachelors in molecular and microbiology. My current GPA is 3.7. I am actually trying to change my major now to medical laboratory science because I feel that I would be very happy in that field if I don’t get into med school. I’ve been doing the regular e.c.'s, like volunteering at the hospital, tutoring GED prep and I’m about to start helping out at a free clinic in the area. I am working on getting some shadowing experiece in, but I really don’t have any “in’s” anywhere, so it’s been kind of discouraging. But, I have some time, so hopefully something will work out.

(Of course, this is the very condensed version of my story)

So, hi again to everyone, and i’m going to the conference in D.C. and look forward to meeting and talking to some new people.

Welcome to OPM, Heather . We’ll be happy to meet you at the conference and hear more of your perspective, maybe share some of ours. In the meantime, make yourself at home around the forums .

Heather, congratulations on all your successes so far and your GPA is something to be proud of.

You sound like you are on a good path. This year will be my first conference, so hope to see you there!! Welcome.

Taryn

Nice to hear from you. Best of luck

Welcome! Sounds like you have a good beginning for your personal statement!

Have fun at the conference, I will be starting the summer anatomy course before med school actually starts so I can’t come.